Hi there,
I wish to obtain my great grandfather's birth certificate & marriage certificate. On his US Naturalization certificate, it states that he was born in "Corfino Aquila"; however, I believe these are two different towns. My family says he was from the Abruzzi region, so should I assume he was, in fact from Corfinio L'Aquila?
If so, who do I contact in this town for birth & marriage certificates? I found this address for inquiries - is this a good place to start?
Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Corfinio 2
67030 Corfino (AQ)
Italy
By the way, he was born on June 29, 1879 and married in 1902.
I would appreciate any help or advice. Much thanks,
Luca Gasbarro
Corfinio - birth certificates
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Corfinio - birth certificates
Corfinio is the comune=town and Aquila is the provincial capital and Abruzzo is the region. The records in Corfinio are at the addresss you furnished but when making a request for a record (s) do so in Italian. go to www.mangeruca.com for a form letter in italian. The ser vice is free but researching your request is an end of day duty for poorly paid clerks it is suggested you either send $10.00 (US$1=75Cents) in an envelope as a tip or send nothing and await the documents.=Peter=
Re: Corfinio - birth certificates
Thanks Peter for your advice!
Do you think it's a good idea to also enclose a self addressed envelope with US stamps?
Also, if there are no records found, would someone respond stating so?
Thanks again,
Luca
Do you think it's a good idea to also enclose a self addressed envelope with US stamps?
Also, if there are no records found, would someone respond stating so?
Thanks again,
Luca
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Corfinio - birth certificates
No need for stamps as the service is free inthe European Union but the clerks are poorly paid and must take care of all walk in frist and at the end of the day then go thru letters requesting documents, reesearch for the documents and do the clericcal things necessary. Send and envelope with you name and address and the money for a tip if you wish. usually 6 to 8 weeks for a document to show up in your mailbox. =peter=
Re: Corfinio - birth certificates
Great thanks again Peter! One more question for you while I think of it:
I qualify for DC through the paternal line (great grandfather). It may be difficult to obtain my great grandmother's birth certificate as we do not know where she was born (but we do know when). My questions are:
1. How important is it to have her certificate since I am going through the paternal line?
2. Does anyone have advice on how/where to obtain a birth certificate when location is unknown?
I qualify for DC through the paternal line (great grandfather). It may be difficult to obtain my great grandmother's birth certificate as we do not know where she was born (but we do know when). My questions are:
1. How important is it to have her certificate since I am going through the paternal line?
2. Does anyone have advice on how/where to obtain a birth certificate when location is unknown?
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Corfinio - birth certificates
If she married in Italy you can obtain her marriage certificate if town known. If she immigrated to the USA her entry data will show her town of origin. Can you give us some information in this regard? =Peter=
Re: Corfinio - birth certificates
I did not find any records or petitions for her at the National Archives. I was told that she may not have become a citizen. It might also be possible she became a citizen through alien registration (USCIS) after her husband became a citizen through Naturalization in 1937. Would this have been possible?
Unfortunately, I do not know where they were married. I can guess the town he was born in Corfinio as this was his last residence before coming to the US.
What's your thoughts on this?
Thanks again!
Unfortunately, I do not know where they were married. I can guess the town he was born in Corfinio as this was his last residence before coming to the US.
What's your thoughts on this?
Thanks again!
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Corfinio - birth certificates
You may wish to go to www.naturalizationrecords.com/usa/naturalizations.shtml and seek out the information in the website concerning her possi ble citizenship thru her spouse.
You may also wish to write to Corfinio and also request their marriage certficate provided you know at least the year when the marriage took place. =Peter=
You may also wish to write to Corfinio and also request their marriage certficate provided you know at least the year when the marriage took place. =Peter=
