Wow..you guys are good.
Thanks for the detective work, liviomoreno. I've never heard the last name Ferraro thrown around in the family before, but it could definitely be a uncle, as I have no idea what Alberto's mother's name was. Also, my grandmother was surprised to hear that it is spelled Malfettone, she's updating her books as well. Looks like the odds of being directly related to the Filosos of Pretoro are decreasing, which is a shame because there is already much work done on that family tree.
Since it seems very likely the family did originate in the area around Ischia, I am going to order the film for the region and see if I get lucky with birth and marriage information.
If anyone has any other leads, keep them coming! You have all been extremely helpful.
Filoso
Re: Filoso
Other than church records, and possible military service, is there any other sources I should be looking at for information on Alberto Filoso? I've got a long wait ahead of me for microfilm and would like to keep working on this Filoso side if possible.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Filoso
Dear Filoso if you go to www.google.copm and insert inthe title Filoso surname genealogy you will get 800 references to the Filoso surname and perhaps researchers who have completed or are currently researching the filoso surname at this same time you are. This should keep you busy I suspect. Good Luck to you friend. =Peter=
Re: Filoso
I would look very carefully at all the Ellis Island records you have found for Filosi, Malfettone and Ferrara. Every time I look at the manifests, I find something I missed before.
I would also wite a short letter to the woman in Ischia to see if there is a possible relationship. It can't hurt, at worst you'll get no response.
The FHC has a printable guide to reading Italian records. Take a look at it to prepare. I know it is hard to wait, but some of my microfilm came in 2 weeks.
Good luck

I would also wite a short letter to the woman in Ischia to see if there is a possible relationship. It can't hurt, at worst you'll get no response.
The FHC has a printable guide to reading Italian records. Take a look at it to prepare. I know it is hard to wait, but some of my microfilm came in 2 weeks.
Good luck
Re: Filoso
The plot thickens...
Alberto Filoso joined his uncle Giacomo Ferraro in New York in 1920. On one of Giacomo's earlier trips, he states that he is staying with his brother, Carlo Ferraro in New York.
Using ancestry.com's passport database, I can see that someone named Salvatore Filoso applied for a passport and had Carlo Ferraro sign as witness. This Salvatore Filoso person is about 5 years older than my great grandfather, and his passport photos shows many similiarities to Alberto's appearance. I would say there is a high probablitiy the two are brothers. However, I have still yet to find the one link that ties them all together.
The search goes on...
Alberto Filoso joined his uncle Giacomo Ferraro in New York in 1920. On one of Giacomo's earlier trips, he states that he is staying with his brother, Carlo Ferraro in New York.
Using ancestry.com's passport database, I can see that someone named Salvatore Filoso applied for a passport and had Carlo Ferraro sign as witness. This Salvatore Filoso person is about 5 years older than my great grandfather, and his passport photos shows many similiarities to Alberto's appearance. I would say there is a high probablitiy the two are brothers. However, I have still yet to find the one link that ties them all together.
The search goes on...
Re: Filoso
Isn't is fascinating?
Have you looked at census records yet? You might find a connection there as well.
