Looking for Southern Italian Names
- drivingalong
- Rookie

- Posts: 34
- Joined: 30 Jan 2008, 03:31
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Ah, I just realized how to use the search - it returned the page... so I got it and I'm trying to read the headings of the columns. You post above worked too. Thanks. I believe this is the right Frank. And thanks for introducing me to yet another place to look for data. :O
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Hi Jim,
I feel so bad I haven't been around but my PC has been down all week and I just ought a new one. I'll be in touch with you once I hook it up.
I feel so bad I haven't been around but my PC has been down all week and I just ought a new one. I'll be in touch with you once I hook it up.
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Welcome back Nuccia!!!!!!!
Laura
Laura
- ChrisMosca
- Elite

- Posts: 390
- Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 14:13
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
To go back to the first post in here , I am looking into my grandmothers side that came from calabria, cosenza area, her last name was Gallo.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Thanks Laura! Not quite ready yet but will be soon.
ChrisMosca, Gallo is a common surname in Cosenza...do you have any more details?
ChrisMosca, Gallo is a common surname in Cosenza...do you have any more details?
- ChrisMosca
- Elite

- Posts: 390
- Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 14:13
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Pietro Giuseppe Gallo B. Abt 1838
Consalvo M Gallo B. 09 May 1872 D. abt 1940 Buenos Aires, Argentina
I belive pietro was born in the commune of malvito in cosenza. I'm still trying to find pietro's exact date of birth.
Consalvo M Gallo B. 09 May 1872 D. abt 1940 Buenos Aires, Argentina
I belive pietro was born in the commune of malvito in cosenza. I'm still trying to find pietro's exact date of birth.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
- SouthernItalianNana
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 18:34
- Location: Surprise, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
One of the names I'm trying to pursue is D'Alesandro. Rosa D'Alesandro married Biagio Mazzaferro (he is from Verbicaro) before 1859. I believe Rosa was from Mormanno, Cosenza, birth date around 1821.
Any help or clues out there?
I'm going to FHC this afternoon to request the microfilms for Mormanno.
Any help or clues out there?
I'm going to FHC this afternoon to request the microfilms for Mormanno.
Bettina
- SouthernItalianNana
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 18:34
- Location: Surprise, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Another name I have very little on and that is TERESA RICCETTI. She married Giuseppe DeRenzi (probably in Verbicaro) before 1843. They had two children that I know of - Angelo DeRenzi and Maria Elisabetta a, both born in Verbicaro.
Any help or clues?
Any help or clues?
Bettina
- SouthernItalianNana
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 18:34
- Location: Surprise, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Just want all to know -
Jim (drivingalong) and I linked up one part of our trees. His great-grandfather, Antonio Mazzaferro, was the brother of my great-aunt, Rosa Mazzaferro.
I guess this is what keeps us "digging".
Jim (drivingalong) and I linked up one part of our trees. His great-grandfather, Antonio Mazzaferro, was the brother of my great-aunt, Rosa Mazzaferro.
I guess this is what keeps us "digging".
Bettina
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Bettina
Thanks for updating us. We love to hear success stories like this. I did receive your email and will get back to you. I just got my new PC up and I'm still installing files.
Thanks for updating us. We love to hear success stories like this. I did receive your email and will get back to you. I just got my new PC up and I'm still installing files.
- sandralucia
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 11 Feb 2008, 07:20
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Hi, Jim,
NOTE: I attempted to send this as a private message, but I don't think I was successful.
I, too, am new to this site. I am also doing research on the names Spingola and Sgamba from Verbicaro (along with Torrano, Campilongo, and Raimondi). My maternal Grandmother was Maria Giuseppe Sgamba, born in Verbicaro in 1882 and came through Ellis Island in 1899. Her Father was Luigi Sgamba. She had a sister Carmela and two brothers: Vincenzo and Pietro. My paternal Great Grandmother was Angela Rose Spingola and her parents were Biase Spingola and Anna Raimondi. She married Saverio (I believe that was the first name) Torrano and had at least four children. She came through Ellis Island in 1892. All settled first in San Francisco and then moved to Oakland after the 1906 earthquake. My Cousin went to Verbicaro a few years ago and was able to get copies of my grandparent's birth certificates, which was a great help. Do you suppose we have a connection? I also have connected with someone through Il Circolo Calabrese and she may have some of the names you are searching. Sandy
NOTE: I attempted to send this as a private message, but I don't think I was successful.
I, too, am new to this site. I am also doing research on the names Spingola and Sgamba from Verbicaro (along with Torrano, Campilongo, and Raimondi). My maternal Grandmother was Maria Giuseppe Sgamba, born in Verbicaro in 1882 and came through Ellis Island in 1899. Her Father was Luigi Sgamba. She had a sister Carmela and two brothers: Vincenzo and Pietro. My paternal Great Grandmother was Angela Rose Spingola and her parents were Biase Spingola and Anna Raimondi. She married Saverio (I believe that was the first name) Torrano and had at least four children. She came through Ellis Island in 1892. All settled first in San Francisco and then moved to Oakland after the 1906 earthquake. My Cousin went to Verbicaro a few years ago and was able to get copies of my grandparent's birth certificates, which was a great help. Do you suppose we have a connection? I also have connected with someone through Il Circolo Calabrese and she may have some of the names you are searching. Sandy
- drivingalong
- Rookie

- Posts: 34
- Joined: 30 Jan 2008, 03:31
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Sandy,
I sent you a PM with my email addr. I hope you get it. Too may names in common not to be related somehow.
I ordered Verbicaro films and the FHC called today to let me know they have arrived. Will examine them starting Tuesday.
I sent you a PM with my email addr. I hope you get it. Too may names in common not to be related somehow.
I ordered Verbicaro films and the FHC called today to let me know they have arrived. Will examine them starting Tuesday.
- drivingalong
- Rookie

- Posts: 34
- Joined: 30 Jan 2008, 03:31
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Hi, I have new data!
We have confirmed that Antonio Mazzaferro, B: 13 Jan 1870 in Verbicaro, had a brother Battista, B: 24 Jun 1873 in Verbicaro; and a sister Rosa, B: 31 Dec 1882 in Verbicaro. Their parents were Giuseppe Mazzaferro and Saveria Sgamba, B: ABT 1847 in Italy. Like to find out more about Giuseppe and Saveria.
Antonio married Angelina Spingola, B: 1875. I expect to find her birth tomorrow in the microfilms. Wow, they are hard to read - firt time I tried was today.... if only they were clear enough to transcribe and translate. Pretty hard, epsecially the years than had espresso spilled on them.
Battista married Santa/Santine Aloise, B: ABT 1875... not sure if she will show up in the films I ordered, but a lot of that last name is in there.
Rosa married Francesco Arieta, B: 18 Aug 1875 in Verbicaro.
Having the above come together is a big breakthrough for us, but I'm hungry for more... looks like the films are key, just wish I could take someone there that could read Italian. 15 minutes with someone that can read it wold unlock a lot. I took some digital pictures, but, well, still too hard to see. I saw a sample on the forum of a translation... I'll look that up in a moment as well.
Jim
We have confirmed that Antonio Mazzaferro, B: 13 Jan 1870 in Verbicaro, had a brother Battista, B: 24 Jun 1873 in Verbicaro; and a sister Rosa, B: 31 Dec 1882 in Verbicaro. Their parents were Giuseppe Mazzaferro and Saveria Sgamba, B: ABT 1847 in Italy. Like to find out more about Giuseppe and Saveria.
Antonio married Angelina Spingola, B: 1875. I expect to find her birth tomorrow in the microfilms. Wow, they are hard to read - firt time I tried was today.... if only they were clear enough to transcribe and translate. Pretty hard, epsecially the years than had espresso spilled on them.
Battista married Santa/Santine Aloise, B: ABT 1875... not sure if she will show up in the films I ordered, but a lot of that last name is in there.
Rosa married Francesco Arieta, B: 18 Aug 1875 in Verbicaro.
Having the above come together is a big breakthrough for us, but I'm hungry for more... looks like the films are key, just wish I could take someone there that could read Italian. 15 minutes with someone that can read it wold unlock a lot. I took some digital pictures, but, well, still too hard to see. I saw a sample on the forum of a translation... I'll look that up in a moment as well.
Jim
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Hi Jim!
congratulation for your find!!!
If you need translations af the documents from the microfilms you can post here the images....
Laura
congratulation for your find!!!
If you need translations af the documents from the microfilms you can post here the images....
Laura
- her_unlimited
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 23:15
Re: Looking for Southern Italian Names
Hi Jim, my great grandfather were Francesco Arieta from Verbicaro, he had married 2 times. With the second wife they had my grandmother. All of he sons were
filomena
acolina
ancholina yolanda
salvina sofia
florenza margarita (my grandmother)
vicenzo pascual
carlos feliche antonio
alberto vitorio
silverio salvador
they lived in VÃa Largo di Tomasso, near Santa MarÃa church
I think this is the location in google maps +39° 45' 17.18, +15° 54' 45.44
In google earth shows the church.
filomena
acolina
ancholina yolanda
salvina sofia
florenza margarita (my grandmother)
vicenzo pascual
carlos feliche antonio
alberto vitorio
silverio salvador
they lived in VÃa Largo di Tomasso, near Santa MarÃa church
I think this is the location in google maps +39° 45' 17.18, +15° 54' 45.44
In google earth shows the church.
drivingalong wrote:Hi, I have new data!
We have confirmed that Antonio Mazzaferro, B: 13 Jan 1870 in Verbicaro, had a brother Battista, B: 24 Jun 1873 in Verbicaro; and a sister Rosa, B: 31 Dec 1882 in Verbicaro. Their parents were Giuseppe Mazzaferro and Saveria Sgamba, B: ABT 1847 in Italy. Like to find out more about Giuseppe and Saveria.
Antonio married Angelina Spingola, B: 1875. I expect to find her birth tomorrow in the microfilms. Wow, they are hard to read - firt time I tried was today.... if only they were clear enough to transcribe and translate. Pretty hard, epsecially the years than had espresso spilled on them.
Battista married Santa/Santine Aloise, B: ABT 1875... not sure if she will show up in the films I ordered, but a lot of that last name is in there.
Rosa married Francesco Arieta, B: 18 Aug 1875 in Verbicaro.
Having the above come together is a big breakthrough for us, but I'm hungry for more... looks like the films are key, just wish I could take someone there that could read Italian. 15 minutes with someone that can read it wold unlock a lot. I took some digital pictures, but, well, still too hard to see. I saw a sample on the forum of a translation... I'll look that up in a moment as well.
Jim


