Resentment in the Air (directed towards Brazil,& S. Amer

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Resentment in the Air (directed towards Brazil,& S.

Post by mler »

I understand, NOLA. The backlog at the consulates is making everyone pull their hair out just a bit. I encouraged my son when he wanted to apply because through him and his children (one day I hope) it would be a way to reclaim our heritage. But unlike you, he has no plans to live in Italy (or any other EU nation). As a surgeon trained in the U.S. he would find it difficult financially and professionally to make such a move.

I would be nice if they had a three-track system--track one for those planning to move to Italy (and can prove it); track two for those like my son who just want it because they are Italian; and track three for those who want EU citizenship more than Italian citizenship. Doubt it will happen though; and it probably is not even possible.
User avatar
NOLA
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 55
Joined: 21 Aug 2007, 00:00

Re: Resentment in the Air (directed towards Brazil,& S.

Post by NOLA »

Thanks for your reply. Actually today at Stony Brook University on Long Island, NY, they are having a seminar on voting in the US for Italian Citizens. I had planned to attend,hoping to speak to someone, but,unfortunately, I have clients to attend to today (real estate broker). Someone did mention a "fast track" on another site, but I think this applies to VIPs or to someone who has an easier track, that it, son or daughter of an Italian citizen still living who can attest to everything. I went back to my grandfather.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Resentment in the Air (directed towards Brazil,& S.

Post by mler »

Yeah, I think it moves very quickly if you have an Italian parent who is still living. It's almost like a delayed registration of birth.
User avatar
veronicainsandiego
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 14 Jan 2008, 22:39

Re: Resentment in the Air (directed towards Brazil,& S.

Post by veronicainsandiego »

I did not know this was the feeling towards the people of South America when wanting to claim right to the nationality of their ancestors. I find it strange, since the largest current of inmigration into Argentina was from Italy, that they would be frowned upon when wanting to be able to return in a legal manner. It is sort of sad. My greatgrandfather traveled to Argentina, probably to look for a better future and happened to stay there. His wife was also Italian. My grandfather (and siblings) and my father (and siblings) did not get a choice of birth places. But the culture stayed with all, even with us, having been born in yet another country. However, not every country is as lenient in citizenship rights, in fact, most are not.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Resentment in the Air (directed towards Brazil,& S.

Post by nuccia »

I think this thread has served it purpose. I am now locking it until Edmondo decides if he would like to re open it.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
Locked