taxes

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
Luca722
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 28 Dec 2007, 22:16

taxes

Post by Luca722 »

Hi all,

I am very close in completing my Dual Citizenship application.

I had a couple questions regarding taxes. If I obtain my Italian Dual Citizenship, live and work here in the US, do I have to file and/or owe taxes to Italy? If so, can anyone briefly describe/explain the process.

Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: taxes

Post by PeterTimber »

Gildone
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 41
Joined: 15 Dec 2006, 00:00

Re: taxes

Post by Gildone »

As I understood it when I researched it prior to receiving my citizenship, unless you reside in Italy, you don't have to pay taxes or file anything. The only tax you pay is for the Marca da Bollo for your passport. It's basically a tax stamp that's good for 1 year from the date of purchase. It's mandatory to get when you first get your passport, but after that, you only need to renew it if you intend to use your passport to travel to Italy.
Post Reply