Mingoia, Alfonso
Mingoia, Alfonso
This is what I know so far about him:
Alfonso (Fred) Mingoia married Maria Frotello (born about 1892) They had a son named Joseph (1886-1934) born in Cleveland, Ohio.
Marie came here from Palmero, SCI at the age of 20 years and unmarried, according to Ellis Island.
I would like to know if he had brothers that stayed in another state?
I would like to find a marriage certificate but I don't know where they were married?
I can not find out how or where Alfonso came into the country?
Alfonso (Fred) Mingoia married Maria Frotello (born about 1892) They had a son named Joseph (1886-1934) born in Cleveland, Ohio.
Marie came here from Palmero, SCI at the age of 20 years and unmarried, according to Ellis Island.
I would like to know if he had brothers that stayed in another state?
I would like to find a marriage certificate but I don't know where they were married?
I can not find out how or where Alfonso came into the country?
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Hello and welcome kleocatra.
I'm confused. You have son Joseph born 4 years before his mother's birth. 8O
Biff
I'm confused. You have son Joseph born 4 years before his mother's birth. 8O
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Thanks for the catch on that date. (I was reading the Samual Zuppero obit date range. We have way too many Joseph's in this tree. Sam's obit reads as Husband of Josphine, Father of Joseph, Son of Joseph, Brother of Joseph)
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Just for reference:
Joseph Mingoia
Born 19 Jan 1886 in Italy
1912 manifest
page 2
March 1912 SS Ancona, Palermo to Phila
Line 24
Giuseppe Mingoia 26
- married
- last residence Barrafranca (Enna, Sicily)
- in Barrafranca, mother Maria Fratelli
- destination Cleveland, Ohio
- joining brother Salvatore at 1111 Orange Street
- born in Barrafranca Sicily
---
and
1918 WWI Card
1930 census
1934 Death Certificate
Do you have any records of Joseph's parents
in the US?
Thanks! Valarie
Joseph Mingoia
Born 19 Jan 1886 in Italy
1912 manifest
page 2
March 1912 SS Ancona, Palermo to Phila
Line 24
Giuseppe Mingoia 26
- married
- last residence Barrafranca (Enna, Sicily)
- in Barrafranca, mother Maria Fratelli
- destination Cleveland, Ohio
- joining brother Salvatore at 1111 Orange Street
- born in Barrafranca Sicily
---
and
1918 WWI Card
1930 census
1934 Death Certificate
Do you have any records of Joseph's parents
in the US?
Thanks! Valarie
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Joseph & Salvatore’s brother Antonio & Antonio’s family
Destination Cleveland
Note: leaving a friend in Barrafranca, not his parents
1920 manifest
page 2
Destination Cleveland
Note: leaving a friend in Barrafranca, not his parents
1920 manifest
page 2
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
1920 census
page 2
Salvatore (Sam) & family
with mother Mary, born 1856 widow
Joe & family with a Tummino boarder
page 2
Salvatore (Sam) & family
with mother Mary, born 1856 widow
Joe & family with a Tummino boarder
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Maria Fratelli 59, widow
Joining sons Salvatore, Antonio & Giuseppe in Cleveland
Leaving no one in Italy
(note: traveling with Antonio’s wife & children - did not sail)
1913 manifest
page 2
2 Aug 1913 SS Venezia, Palermo to NY
Line 15
special inquiry page
---
1938 Ohio Death Certificate
Joining sons Salvatore, Antonio & Giuseppe in Cleveland
Leaving no one in Italy
(note: traveling with Antonio’s wife & children - did not sail)
1913 manifest
page 2
2 Aug 1913 SS Venezia, Palermo to NY
Line 15
special inquiry page
---
1938 Ohio Death Certificate
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Thank you so much! This helps alot. Most of what I had was passed down verbal stories and alot of photographs.
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
We're happy we could help
.
Please let us know if the links to the documents
aren't working.
Valarie
Please let us know if the links to the documents
aren't working.
Valarie
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Nice work, Valarie
!!
I noticed that Joseph's WWI draft Card possibly listed his wife's surname as Bevilacqua Mingoia; and in rechecking the 1913 manifest for his mother Maria on lines 7 and 8 are a Giuseppe Bevilacqua and wife Maria also going to Cleveland to join brother in law Giuseppe Mingoia. Looks like his wife Angelina's maiden name was Bevilacqua.
Biff
I noticed that Joseph's WWI draft Card possibly listed his wife's surname as Bevilacqua Mingoia; and in rechecking the 1913 manifest for his mother Maria on lines 7 and 8 are a Giuseppe Bevilacqua and wife Maria also going to Cleveland to join brother in law Giuseppe Mingoia. Looks like his wife Angelina's maiden name was Bevilacqua.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Hey Biif!
You're right , one of the brothers did the same thing
on their card - listed their wife's maiden name!
Couldn't find a manifest listing the 3 children from the
1920 census tho - Antonio abt 1901, Sam (Salvatore?) abt 1903
Maria abt 1909.
Immig abt 1913 (daughter Angie born abt 1914 in Ohio)
Wife's name: Maria Angelina? Angelina Maria Bevilacqua?
b abt 1882
Joseph’s wife & 3 children?
1913 manifest
page 2
2 Aug 1913 SS Venezia, Palermo to NY
Lines 12-15
Marianna Bevilacqua 31 (abt 1882)
- last residence Barrafranca
- in Barrafranca brother Gaetano
- destination Cleveland, Ohio
- joining husband Giuseppe Mingoia at 2203 Orange Ave, Cleveland
- born in Barrafranca, Caltanissetta (Sicily)
(note: now Barrafranca, Enna, Sicily)
Antonino 11 (abt 1902)
Salvatore 9 (abt 1904)
Maria 2 (abt 1911)
(note: can’t decipher childrens’ last name…)
edit: added detail & corrected address in Cleveland per Biff's suggestion
You're right , one of the brothers did the same thing
on their card - listed their wife's maiden name!
Couldn't find a manifest listing the 3 children from the
1920 census tho - Antonio abt 1901, Sam (Salvatore?) abt 1903
Maria abt 1909.
Immig abt 1913 (daughter Angie born abt 1914 in Ohio)
Wife's name: Maria Angelina? Angelina Maria Bevilacqua?
b abt 1882
Joseph’s wife & 3 children?
1913 manifest
page 2
2 Aug 1913 SS Venezia, Palermo to NY
Lines 12-15
Marianna Bevilacqua 31 (abt 1882)
- last residence Barrafranca
- in Barrafranca brother Gaetano
- destination Cleveland, Ohio
- joining husband Giuseppe Mingoia at 2203 Orange Ave, Cleveland
- born in Barrafranca, Caltanissetta (Sicily)
(note: now Barrafranca, Enna, Sicily)
Antonino 11 (abt 1902)
Salvatore 9 (abt 1904)
Maria 2 (abt 1911)
(note: can’t decipher childrens’ last name…)
edit: added detail & corrected address in Cleveland per Biff's suggestion
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Very nice get!
That's got to be them based on the destination address of 2203 Orange Ave, same as mother Maria's 1913 manifest.
Bifff
That's got to be them based on the destination address of 2203 Orange Ave, same as mother Maria's 1913 manifest.
Bifff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Thanks Biff
!
I think it was the children's last name that had me stuck in my
previous search. You were right Bevilacqua worked instead
.
Valarie
Hey Biff - same 1913 ship as Joseph's mother, abt 3 pages apart
!
Joseph's mother Maria Fratelli last residence Caltanissetta?
Can't noodle out where she was born.

repost of manifest:
1913 manifest
page 2
I think it was the children's last name that had me stuck in my
previous search. You were right Bevilacqua worked instead
Valarie
Hey Biff - same 1913 ship as Joseph's mother, abt 3 pages apart
Joseph's mother Maria Fratelli last residence Caltanissetta?
Can't noodle out where she was born.

repost of manifest:
1913 manifest
page 2
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
Just an observation on Marianna Bevilacqua and children's manifest.
The children's last name appears to begin with a "C" and since both pages are in the same handwriting and "Mingoia" is fairly easy to make out I'm wondering if Giuseppe Mingoia could be Maria's second husband and the children's stepfather.
I'll see if I can figure out the surname as well as Maria Fratelli's birthplace.
Biff
The children's last name appears to begin with a "C" and since both pages are in the same handwriting and "Mingoia" is fairly easy to make out I'm wondering if Giuseppe Mingoia could be Maria's second husband and the children's stepfather.
I'll see if I can figure out the surname as well as Maria Fratelli's birthplace.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Mingoia, Alfonso
I believe the children's last name is Costa. Still working on Maria's birthplace.
Biff
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"

