Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after 1900

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
ginnymarie3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Hopatcong New Jersey

Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after 1900

Post by ginnymarie3 »

I am trying to find, either death certifcates or other census for Columbia Patri and Frank Patri. I only was able to find a 1900 census in NYC.
Columbia's maiden name was Vangone. ( my great grandmother's sister)

In the 1910 census - thier children are living with my great grandmother's sister and brother. Also, I see some of the children coming back to america traveling with my great grandmother.

Thank you for you help

Ginny

I also want to thank this website for connecting me with a 3rd cousin from Italy.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after

Post by vj »

Hi Ginny!
Welcome back.
Just for reference, is this the correct 1900 census?

Home in 1900:
521 East 14th
Manhattan, New York, New York

Head Frank Patri 42, born Jan 1858 IT
- married 16 years, abt 1884
- immig 1890, Na
- tailor custom
Wife Columbia Patri
37, born Apr 1863 IT
- 4 children born/living
- immig 1890
Son John Patri 11, born Jan 1889 IT
- immig 1890
Son Ferdinand Patri 8, born April 1892 NY
Daughter Fanny Patri 5, born Sep 1894 NY
Son Charles Patri 1, born May 1899 NY

Patri children on
1910 census

Columba (b abt 1862) & son Ferdinando
1891 manifest


Thanks! Valarie
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after

Post by vj »

Ginny, is there a possibility that Patri wasn't Frank's
original surname in Italy?
Valarie
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after

Post by misbris »

Columbia was traveling with 6 month old Ferdinando in in 1891, yet Ferdinand show up as being born in NY in 1892. There is a possibility that the first baby died and the next child was given the same name. I only suggest this because that very thing happened in my family, and it took me months to figure it out.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after

Post by vj »

Hi MJ!
You're right :D !
There are several records for Frank & Columba's
children indicating they were born in NY (Manifests, WWI
Cards)
Only the 1910 census has all but Carlos & Antonio born
in Italy.

NYC Births
Carlo S. A. Patri 29 Jan 1899 5651 Births Reported in January, 1899.
Antonio Patri 27 Jan 1901 35894 Births Reported in August, 1901.
(that's quite a length of time before Antonio's birth was registered...)

My guess is Frank & Columba died between 1901 & 1910, or they moved
back to Italy - temporarily leaving the children with Columba's relatives?

Can't find Frank's or John's manifest (Francesco & Giovanni?)
Can't find Frank's naturalization or Frank & Columba's deaths registered in NYC.
Is it possible the surname was spelled differently?

Valarie
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after

Post by misbris »

User avatar
ginnymarie3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Hopatcong New Jersey

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after

Post by ginnymarie3 »

Valerie,

Yes, that is the census that I found For Frank and Columbia.
I dont know if there was another way to spell Patri or not. The one that is related to me is Columbia.

Home in 1900:
521 East 14th
Manhattan, New York, New York

Is there any place where I can see the passengers names traveling back to Italy.

thanks Ginny
User avatar
ginnymarie3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Hopatcong New Jersey

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after

Post by ginnymarie3 »

A few days ago, I was contacted by Frank and Columbia's Great Grandson from a previos post on a different website.

He was also trying to find out information about Frank and Columbia.
His grandfather was John Patri, The oldest child in the 1900 census.

He was told recently by a older relative that they thought maybe John was adopted. Is there anywhere we can go to see if we can find if this information is true or not. I was unable to find John coming over from Italy

Ginny.
User avatar
Allegra
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 Jan 2011, 01:29

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after

Post by Allegra »

Hi, I realize it's been quite some time since anyone has posted here but I just discovered this a couple of days ago.
My grandfather was Ferdinand Patri, his aunt was Antoinette VanGone - I have her locket with her initials "AVG". It was given to my mother who was named Antoinette for her - my grandfather, Ferdinand, was very devoted to her because she was so selfless in raising the children when their parents died.
I know that she raised Ferdinand and his siblings after the children's parents died - she must have been Columbia VanGone's sister. The story, as I was told by my mother, is that she was supposed to be married to someone. When Columbia died and Antoinette took in the children, the man didn't want to marry her because he didn't want the responsibility of someone else's children. She would take the youngest child, who was a baby at the time, to work with her and keep him beside her in a basket while she sewed.
I hope someone is still reading these posts - I would love to learn more -
User avatar
ginnymarie3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Hopatcong New Jersey

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after

Post by ginnymarie3 »

Hi .. Alergra,
I emailed you back, but just in case you get a alert when someone replies to this post.

Antoinette Vangone was my great grandmother's sister.
My Great Grandmother was Maria Vangone Pirozzo
Columbia Vangone and Antonette and Maria were sisters. Columbia married Frank Patri.

Antoninette and her brother Antonio Vangone were living together and raising the Patri Children. Antonio's wife didnt like living in US so went back to Italy. Antonio went back and forth to Italy visiting his family.
I sent more info in the email.

Ginny
lfcahill225
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 31 Jul 2021, 19:47

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after 1900

Post by lfcahill225 »

Just getting started on this ancestry thing. On 23&me, the name Keller cane as 2nd cousin. She thinks a Marie Patri was her aunt. I think i've pieced together that Luigi a
Ardizzone married Angela Franchini. Their daughter Emma Ardizzone married a Ferna
inand Patri. Patri may have been Americanized from Patricelli. My mothers ancestors are Maggio and Perricone. I think our common link is thru them. Still looking, Luke
lfcahill225
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 31 Jul 2021, 19:47

Re: Unable to find my great grandmother's sister after 1900

Post by lfcahill225 »

lfcahill225 wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 20:59 Just getting started on this ancestry thing. On 23&me, the name Keller came as 2nd cousin. She thinks a Marie Patri was her aunt. I think i've pieced together that Luigi
Ardizzone married Angela Franchini. Their daughter Emma Ardizzone married a Ferna
inand Patri. Patri may have been Americanized from Patricelli. My mothers ancestors are Maggio and Perricone. I think our common link is thru them. Still looking, Luke
Post Reply