Did you find them? My grandparents and many Paesane settled in Newark, NJ. A few of my grandmothers' nieces are still alive , but quite elderly and now living in Naples, their last name is Vinciguerra.
I'm going to be away for about a week, but when I get back, I'll send you a PM so we can talk about travel.
Castelvetere today is not much, it seems like a ghost town, not much going on. My fathers town, Baselice (BN) is more lively.....
I live in Montreal..... there is only one other paesano, named Vignogno (not sure of spelling). I am not fimiliar with the names you gave me, but I will ask my mom tomorrow when I visit her.
I have been told that most young people have left the town to find work in bigger cities. Most of my grandmother's family is in or around Naples. However, some of my Grandfather's family (Marinaro) may still be in Castelvetere. We are planning a trip to Italy next summer and I would love to visit my grandparents home town. How difficult a trip would it be from Naples or Salerno? Are there any hotels in the Benevento area? Is there rail service? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
there should be no problems in finding lodgings in and around castelvetere... you should do a serch on google .... I think there s an agriturismo close by to Castelvetere.... I know there s an albergo in Baselice and numerous agriturismi there.... there kind of a fad these days....
agriturismis are a goverment initiative that hosts restaurant and hotel promoting the ocal foods (they could only serve food from the local soil)... great food according to me.... and they are not expensive .
here is one but I know nothing about this place... ive been in the Baselice ones :
AGRITURISMO BRUNNO
INDIRIZZO: CONTRADA MACCHIA,6
LOCALITA': CASTELVETERE in Val FORTORE
PROVINCIA: Benevento
TELEFONO: 0824/933505
ohhh and I have another name for you , she is a friend of my mom that lives in Cleaveland, oh ....Ada Basilano (is from Castelvetere)
Sorry forget to tell you, that from train station in Benevento.... you can get a bus that surely bring you to Castelvetere..... I know they do it from Baselice.....
We just stayed in the Hotel President in downtown Benevento and travelled from there to our villages. We did not mind driving an hour. If you look up Benevento on www.tripadvisor.com the hotel review in English for Hotel President is mine.
I found this link that explains that Castelvetere in Val Fortore was part of Molise in 1811-1860 and then part of Benevento after that. My family is also from there and I will be ordering the same LDS records that you used. We are Spallone's from that area. The below is one long link explaining the Molise/Benevento change:
It is a shame that the FHC records end in 1860. My grandparents were born 30 years too late. But hopefully, I'll find their parents and grandparents in the records. The records must have changed locations when the change from Molise to Benevento took place.