HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by Biff83 »

Possible first 1893 manifest for Giovanni, line 17

Name: Grovanne Paganizini
Arrival Date: 10 Sep 1893
Age: 27 years
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Catalonia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Destination: Boston to join brother G Paganuzzi
Last Residence: London

**See line 18 on Valarie's 1905 manifest for Giovanni--could that be the brother referenced on the 1893 manifest?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by Biff83 »

"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Hey Biff :D !
I'm so glad you found those.
Outstanding!
Valarie
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

Yes, thank you all!!!
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

thanks again for all your hard work everyone! Though I'm a bit confused about the last find..

I have Serafina as Anna Casassa's mother. Serafina married last name is Casassa but not sure her maiden name is. On the last entry from Biff it says that Maria Casazza was Serafina's mother so that would make Casazza her surname. oh boy! I'm soo confused! Not sure if I'm stating it correctly..Sorry about all the questions.

**Serafina (Surname ?) Casassa (married unknown Casassa)
** (Daughter) Mary (Maria) Casassa
** (Daughter) Anna Casassa (married Giovanni Paganussi)
** Mary Paganussi (my grandmother)
** Sadie
** Emma
** Louisa
** Jean
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Tammy,
The folks on Biff's 1905 manifest would be:

Maria (Anna) Casassa rejoining her husband Giovanni Paganussi in the US
- Italian women keep their father's name (Casassa), so that's
the name she would be traveling under
- chances are Maria was part of Anna's name, either Maria Anna or
Anna Maria (or even Annunciata, among others!)

Maria (Anna) & Giovanni's daughter is traveling with her mother
- this would be Sadie (Seraphina) Paganussi
- note, Sadie was probably named for her grandmother

OK?
Valarie
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

oh thank you Valarie! I didn't realize that Italian women keep their father's name..Wonderful! I'm learning soo much here! I'm soo glad I joined!

Thanks again!

Tammy
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Tammy,
I'm so glad we could help.
When looking for Anna's & her mother Seraphina's original manifest
we will probably need to know Seraphina's maiden name, especially
if Anna traveled with her.
When they arrived in the US, they normally would use their husband's
name instead of their father's since that was the custom in the US.
Valarie
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

:)

Valarie, I think that is the other road block, I don't know what Seraphina's maiden name is. I have my letter all drafted (with the help of the link you sent me) to send to Italy but based on the site..they said sometimes it takes a year to hear a response. I was hoping to find out earlier but I'll keep on searching. I'm not sure what other sites might help. I've tried familysearch.org, ancestry.com, footnote.com etc. Maybe I'm not looking or know the right way to search. I even tried our local libraries but they don't have really anything for Europe or specific countries.

I wish my grandmother or sisters were still living to find out more about the family. I feel like it's a big loss not knowing who they were, or about where they came from, you know.

Though I do appreciate all your help with this!! I printed out all the information you provided so far and it's more than I found so far!

Thanks again for everything..it's soo nice of you to help me!

Tammy
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Casassa

Possibly the original manifest for Anna, her mother & siblings?

1899 manifest

19 Dec 1899, SS Furst Bismarck, Genoa to NY
Lines 1-4
- destination Boston, MA
Antonio Casazza (Casassa) 32 (abt 1867)
- single
- joining his brothers
Serafina Cavagnaro 59 (abt 1840)
- widow
- joining her son
Daughter Maria 34 (abt 1865)
- single
Daughter Anna 20 (abt 1879)
- single
- possible naturalization notation: 1X ?00709 5/19/42 (505)

Can’t decipher last residence …
Somewhere near Varsi, in Parma?
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

that looks right!!

What do you think Serafina's last name spells? Covagnaro?
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Cavagnaro is a current surname in Parma province
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

Wow! I don't know how you do it Valarie but this is soo much fun! :) I can't believe you found her name!
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by vj »

Tammy,
You had excellent information to get us started :D .
There's a possibility that your Casassa surname was originally
Casazza.
Like Cavagnaro, Casazza is also a current surname thoughout
Emilia Romagna (Casassa isn't found)
From this site:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
Valarie
User avatar
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 19:28

Re: HELP...In Search of 3 family Surnames...

Post by stewey75 »

After you saying that, I think I remember my grandmother long time ago mentioning that it sounded more like "Casazza" than "Casassa"..I think I found Casassa so I automatically thought that is how it was spelled. Thanks for the link!
Post Reply