How do you organize your research? I've got most of mine in binders on a book shelf by family name....but am in the process of scanning "original" documents and storing them on a thumb drive by family name as well.
Also have some in files in file boxes etc.........
I also use family tree maker software and am planning on purchasing the new updated version.
How do you do it?
Organizing your research?
- MaryGenottiCollins
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
- Location: Pennsylvania/USA
Organizing your research?
Mary Genotti-Collins
Names currently researching:
Genotti, Garibaldi, Vottero
A family without a genealogy is like a country without a history.
Names currently researching:
Genotti, Garibaldi, Vottero
A family without a genealogy is like a country without a history.
Re: Organizing your research?
There are so many different ways of organizing your research. Everyone will give you a different answer so I can tell you what works for me.
I also use binders labeled by Family Surnames and I start each one with a Pedigree Sheet that I print from my Software Program (I also use Family Tree Maker). Then I create a Family Group Sheet for each family. Behind each one I include photocopies of any documents which pertains to that family. I only use acid free paper and plastic holders as well. I include a research log too so I know where I have already looked and what letters I sent out and to who.
Then I have filing cabinet. Everyone is filed by alphabetical order and I again include any info on that person in the file. I number each file and I have index cards to correspond. I take the index cards with me when I research so that I don't have to lug around binders or file folders and they slip into my purse or briefcase easily. I jot down any notes, microfilms, sources etc on my index cards and when I get back from the FHC (or wherever I happen to be) I transfer and update the info into my files and software program.
I also have file folders with copies of my websites, codes, or any special papers I have collected over the years. The one thing I also learned is to back EVERYTHING UP! I email my research to an email I have just for this and I also make a few back up discs each month. I store one in my safe deposit box (with any original documents again in acid free paper) and I give a copy each to my sister and brother. I lost a lot of my research last year when my PC crashed three times and I am never going to make that mistake again.
Seems like a lot of work but it keeps me organized.
I also use binders labeled by Family Surnames and I start each one with a Pedigree Sheet that I print from my Software Program (I also use Family Tree Maker). Then I create a Family Group Sheet for each family. Behind each one I include photocopies of any documents which pertains to that family. I only use acid free paper and plastic holders as well. I include a research log too so I know where I have already looked and what letters I sent out and to who.
Then I have filing cabinet. Everyone is filed by alphabetical order and I again include any info on that person in the file. I number each file and I have index cards to correspond. I take the index cards with me when I research so that I don't have to lug around binders or file folders and they slip into my purse or briefcase easily. I jot down any notes, microfilms, sources etc on my index cards and when I get back from the FHC (or wherever I happen to be) I transfer and update the info into my files and software program.
I also have file folders with copies of my websites, codes, or any special papers I have collected over the years. The one thing I also learned is to back EVERYTHING UP! I email my research to an email I have just for this and I also make a few back up discs each month. I store one in my safe deposit box (with any original documents again in acid free paper) and I give a copy each to my sister and brother. I lost a lot of my research last year when my PC crashed three times and I am never going to make that mistake again.
Seems like a lot of work but it keeps me organized.

