Immigration Records for my grandfather
Immigration Records for my grandfather
I have been trying to locate the immigration records for my grandfather, Gaetano Riccardelli and his older sister, Clara who came to the US through Ellis Island in 1906 from Avellino, AV, Italy.
His mother, Josephine and, two younger sisters, Vincenza and, Carmella arrived in the US in 1909. I cannot locate any records of their arrival either.
I've traced using all possible variations of the name but, just can't find any record of them.
Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can find this information?
Thanks
Brianna
His mother, Josephine and, two younger sisters, Vincenza and, Carmella arrived in the US in 1909. I cannot locate any records of their arrival either.
I've traced using all possible variations of the name but, just can't find any record of them.
Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can find this information?
Thanks
Brianna
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Hi,
I found a few records from Avellino with the name Ricciardelli (which is probably the correct spelling) but, not the correct first names. Is it possible that they came into another port? Perhaps Boston or Philly? Where did they settle when they got here? Do you have any census info yet?
I found a few records from Avellino with the name Ricciardelli (which is probably the correct spelling) but, not the correct first names. Is it possible that they came into another port? Perhaps Boston or Philly? Where did they settle when they got here? Do you have any census info yet?
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Hey Brianna & mj
!
Do you know Gaetano's mother's maiden name?
and, just for reference, do these records belong to your Gaetano?
Thanks! Valarie
Born 14 Mar 1890
1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
---
1930 census
1920 census
- with grandfather Cortlana (sp)?
Do you know Gaetano's mother's maiden name?
and, just for reference, do these records belong to your Gaetano?
Thanks! Valarie
Born 14 Mar 1890
1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
---
1930 census
1920 census
- with grandfather Cortlana (sp)?
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Hi,misbris & vj
There was mention that the name was spelled "RiccIardelli", but all the children of my grandfather spelled it without the "is".
And confirmation of the "i" spelled is confirmed by the documents forwarded by vj.
The Selective Service registrations are those of my grandfather and, he spelled his name with the "i".
I do have a copy of the 1930 Census report and, I know for a fact that he came into NY because my cousin remembers that when he was a child my grandfather took him to visit the Statue of Liberty and said that he came to the US through Ellis Island
It's possible that my cousin was mistaken and, he could have come in through Philly.
How can I check the Philly records?
Oh, I don't know his mother's maiden name nor his father's first name, which I suspect is Gaetano.
Someone gave me a website for the community of Avellino where my grandfather was born. I forwarded an e-mail to a city official asking where I could get a copy of his birth certificate.
Thanks for the information that you guys provided me. Now I know his actual date of birth.
Brianna
There was mention that the name was spelled "RiccIardelli", but all the children of my grandfather spelled it without the "is".
And confirmation of the "i" spelled is confirmed by the documents forwarded by vj.
The Selective Service registrations are those of my grandfather and, he spelled his name with the "i".
I do have a copy of the 1930 Census report and, I know for a fact that he came into NY because my cousin remembers that when he was a child my grandfather took him to visit the Statue of Liberty and said that he came to the US through Ellis Island
It's possible that my cousin was mistaken and, he could have come in through Philly.
How can I check the Philly records?
Oh, I don't know his mother's maiden name nor his father's first name, which I suspect is Gaetano.
Someone gave me a website for the community of Avellino where my grandfather was born. I forwarded an e-mail to a city official asking where I could get a copy of his birth certificate.
Thanks for the information that you guys provided me. Now I know his actual date of birth.
Brianna
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Brianna, there is a possibility that the manifest
may just be terribly mis-transcribed.
Valarie
may just be terribly mis-transcribed.
Valarie
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Another place to look for other family records (watch for both spellings
)
Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York
NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902 requires ancestry.com subscription
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948
New York Cemeteries (Mts Hebron, Carmel & Zion)
Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives
Example:
NYC Death Index:
Surname/Given Name/Age/Month Day Year/
Certificate Number/County/Born
Ricciardelli Josephi 75 y June 12 1938 5560 Bronx 1862 - 1863
Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York
NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902 requires ancestry.com subscription
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948
New York Cemeteries (Mts Hebron, Carmel & Zion)
Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives
Example:
NYC Death Index:
Surname/Given Name/Age/Month Day Year/
Certificate Number/County/Born
Ricciardelli Josephi 75 y June 12 1938 5560 Bronx 1862 - 1863
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Valarie,
I thought of that.
I am making plans to visit one of the LDS offices in my area and go through their files (micro-fische). I found out from their website and EllisIsland.Org that quite frequently the passenger names were mispelled.
They advised me to visit the local LDS office and, for a nominal donation, I could go through their files and, might just find what I am looking for.
Again, thanks for all the help you guys have extended to me in my family search.
Brianna
I thought of that.
I am making plans to visit one of the LDS offices in my area and go through their files (micro-fische). I found out from their website and EllisIsland.Org that quite frequently the passenger names were mispelled.
They advised me to visit the local LDS office and, for a nominal donation, I could go through their files and, might just find what I am looking for.
Again, thanks for all the help you guys have extended to me in my family search.
Brianna
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Hi Valarie and Brianna!
Another surname variation from the Groom/Bride Index Valarie posted:
Ricciardella Gaetano Oct 23 1910 Bronx Cert# 1830
Gallucci Rosa Oct 23 1910 Bronx
Biff
Another surname variation from the Groom/Bride Index Valarie posted:
Ricciardella Gaetano Oct 23 1910 Bronx Cert# 1830
Gallucci Rosa Oct 23 1910 Bronx
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Hey Biff
(& all)!
Can you make out the town on Gaetano's WWI Card?
Valarie
Can you make out the town on Gaetano's WWI Card?
Valarie
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Biff & Valarie,
Thanks for the information regarding my grandparents marriage date. I knew that they were married in 1910, but again didn't know the actual date.
Valarie,
The draft registration city is New York City, actually, The Bronx.
Brianna
Thanks for the information regarding my grandparents marriage date. I knew that they were married in 1910, but again didn't know the actual date.
Valarie,
The draft registration city is New York City, actually, The Bronx.
Brianna
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Vj,
I didn't credit you with the information you provided, i.e., the web-sites that you provided for searching of NYC records.
Very helpful and informative.
Thanks
Brianna
I didn't credit you with the information you provided, i.e., the web-sites that you provided for searching of NYC records.
Very helpful and informative.
Thanks
Brianna
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Hey Brianna!
The town I'm trying to decipher is where Gaetano states he was
born in Avellino on his WWI Card. It may help us to find his
manifest.
(this may be a small community in the town of Avellino or a town in
Avellino province)
His mother most likely traveled on her manifest under her maiden
name. In Italy women keep their father's surname. It usually wouldn't
be until after they arrived in the US that they would have adopted the
custom of using their husband's surname.
On the 1920 census, can you figure out who the person is refered to as
Gaetano's 'grandfather'?
Thank you
!
Valarie
The town I'm trying to decipher is where Gaetano states he was
born in Avellino on his WWI Card. It may help us to find his
manifest.
(this may be a small community in the town of Avellino or a town in
Avellino province)
His mother most likely traveled on her manifest under her maiden
name. In Italy women keep their father's surname. It usually wouldn't
be until after they arrived in the US that they would have adopted the
custom of using their husband's surname.
On the 1920 census, can you figure out who the person is refered to as
Gaetano's 'grandfather'?
Thank you
Valarie
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Valarie,
It appears to be "Ascadia" but, I can't find any town by that in Avellino.
I know that Avelino is the Province but, there is a city named "Avellino" where everyone believes that he came from.
"Ascadia" may be a comune in the city of Avellino, but I cannot pull up anything similar to this name when I go into the City of Avellino.
I don't know why the grandfather name of Joseph Cortiana (what it appears to be) is listed as part of his family. To my knowldge there was no grandfather living with my grandfather's family other than my father Frank and his siblings.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Brianna
It appears to be "Ascadia" but, I can't find any town by that in Avellino.
I know that Avelino is the Province but, there is a city named "Avellino" where everyone believes that he came from.
"Ascadia" may be a comune in the city of Avellino, but I cannot pull up anything similar to this name when I go into the City of Avellino.
I don't know why the grandfather name of Joseph Cortiana (what it appears to be) is listed as part of his family. To my knowldge there was no grandfather living with my grandfather's family other than my father Frank and his siblings.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Brianna
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
Hi,
the town could be "Accadia" which is now under Foggia and might have been under Avellino at that time. The two provinces are very close. Good luck!
the town could be "Accadia" which is now under Foggia and might have been under Avellino at that time. The two provinces are very close. Good luck!
Re: Immigration Records for my grandfather
uantiti,
Thanks!
from wikipedia
Thanks!
from wikipedia
Accadia is a town and comune in the province of Foggia in the Apulia region of southeast Italy.
Sixty? years ago the borders of this province were adjusted.
Until then it was just within the eastern frontier of the region of Campania in the Province of Avellino.

