Birth Records in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by nuccia »

You have a few options you can use to get Giovanni's birth act.

The first is that you can write to directly and request the act (do not ask for the certificate. it doesn't hold as much information as the act).

Comune Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Trieste
89030 Staiti RC
Italy

You can write your request in English, post it here and one of our members will be able to translate it correctly for you.

Another option is to go to you nearest family history center and order the microfilms. This is a bit more complex as you will need to order the film, pay for it, wait three weeks or so (the Reggio films are actually quite slow to arrive from Salt Lake so it could take longer). When they come in, the FHC will notify you and you will have three weeks to go through them to find the info you need. Once you have looked through microfilms though, you will love it. Its quite a bit different from sitting at your PC and looking things up. A definite experience I think everyone should try.

Staiti civil registration films are available from 1809-1858 (keep this in mind for a later date if you need them).

Also, you would need the films listed under Reggio Calabria from 1866-1910. Staiti records would be mixed with those. For 1874 you will need:

Matrimoni 1873 Gerace - Stilo; Cittadinanze 1873 Agnana Calabra - Stilo; Pubblicazioni 1873 Agnana Calabra - Stilo; Nati 1874 Agnana Calabra - Stilo; Morti 1874 Agnana Calabra - Martone e Monasterace. FHL INTL Film
1800278
Morti 1874 Palizzi - Stilo; Matrimoni 1874 Agnana Calabro - Stilo; Cittadinanze 1874 Agnana Calabro - Stilo; Pubblicazioni 1874 Agnana Calabro - Stilo; Nati 1875 Agnana Calabro - Bivongi. FHL INTL Film
1800279

(I would order both since sometimes records carry over).

Keep in mind that after 1873 several records are missing. This was unfortunately the situation for me so writing to the Comune was my best option.

Does this help?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
bwatenz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: 16 May 2008, 23:28

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by bwatenz »

I will have to write the comune since I can't read and write in Italian. I am going to take a course soon though. How much money will I need to enclose with the letter so I can recieve the ACT? How long does it usually take for them to respond? Thank you for your help!
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by nuccia »

bwatenz wrote:I will have to write the comune since I can't read and write in Italian. I am going to take a course soon though. How much money will I need to enclose with the letter so I can recieve the ACT? How long does it usually take for them to respond? Thank you for your help!
Ok..reading Italian and understanding the records are really two different things. The acts are all standard and there are translated versions of them already online. You just need to be able to pickout the persons name and birthdate which is simple. I have to admit, I was a bit overwhelmed myself though the first few times.

I like writing for records myself but only because my schedule doesn't always allow me to go to the FHC. Its quite a ways from me and the hours interfere with my work schedule.

As for money, don't send any. There is no charge for these types of vital records. The reply takes..well anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. It just depends on how busy they are and how difficult the search is. You will have to be patient, thats all. I have had replies in under 15 days and as long as 4 months.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by nuccia »

If you would rather write for your request(s) at one time, you can try this option too. Its the same price for one document as it is for two so you can ask the people at Salt Lake to locate the record for you. Just locate the film number and fill out the form. You can fax it or mail it out.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... rofilm.ASP

Remember though, they are also back logged so it also can take a while. But its a great service if you only need a few exact records and are not into the whole film thing.

Let us know if you have any other questions..always happy to help! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
bwatenz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: 16 May 2008, 23:28

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by bwatenz »

Can someone please translate this into Italian before I send it to the Comume. Thank You!

Comune Uffico Di Stato Civile
Via Trieste
89030 Straiti RC
Italy


To whom this may concern,

Hello, My name in Michael Varvaro, and I am doing research on my family history. I would like to obtain a copy of an ACT for my Great Grandfather. His name is Giovanni Varvaro, and he was born on December 24th, 1874. The city he was born in was Straiti Reggio Calabria, Italy.


Sincerly,

Michael Varvaro
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by pink67 »

Hi Michael!

you can try this one:


Spett.le
COMUNE DI STAITI
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Trieste

89030 STAITI RC
ITALY


Mi chiamo Michael Varvaro, sto facendo una ricerca sulla storia della mia famiglia.
Vi chiedo cortesemente l'invio dell'estratto dell'atto di nascita completo di eventuali annotazioni di mio bisnonno.
Si chiamava:
GIOVANNI VARVARO, nato a Staiti il 24 dicembre 1874.

Il mio indirizzo per la spedizione dell'atto è:

Your address....

Vi segnalo anche il mio indirizzo e-mail per ogni altra eventualità:

your e-mail address.

RingraziandoVi in anticipo per la Vostra gentilezza e premura colgo l'occasione per porgere i miei piu' cordiali saluti.

Michael Varvaro
User avatar
bwatenz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: 16 May 2008, 23:28

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by bwatenz »

Can someone translate this for my before I send it to the Comune?
This was Giovanni's wife. I will see if I can get any information on her too.

Thanks!

Comune Uffico Di Stato Civile
Via Trieste
89030 Straiti RC
Italy


To whom this may concern,

Hello, My name in Michael Varvaro, and I am doing research on my family history. I would like to obtain a copy of an ACT for my Great Grandmother. Her name is Antonia Varvaro; maiden surname Trupio. She was born on August 15th, 1877 in Straiti Reggio Calabria, Italy.


Sincerly,

Michael Varvaro
User avatar
bwatenz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: 16 May 2008, 23:28

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by bwatenz »

Can this translate this for me before I send it to the Comune?
This was Giovanni's wife. I will see if I can get any information on her too.

Thanks!

Comune Uffico Di Stato Civile
Via Trieste
89030 Straiti RC
Italy


To whom this may concern,

Hello, My name in Michael Varvaro, and I am doing research on my family history. I would like to obtain a copy of an ACT for my Great Grandmother. Her name is Antonia Varvaro; maiden surname Trupio. She was born on August 15th, 1877 in Straiti Reggio Calabria, Italy.


Sincerly,

Michael Varvaro
pink67 wrote:Hi Michael!

you can try this one:


Spett.le
COMUNE DI STAITI
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Trieste

89030 STAITI RC
ITALY


Mi chiamo Michael Varvaro, sto facendo una ricerca sulla storia della mia famiglia.
Vi chiedo cortesemente l'invio dell'estratto dell'atto di nascita completo di eventuali annotazioni di mio bisnonno.
Si chiamava:
GIOVANNI VARVARO, nato a Staiti il 24 dicembre 1874.

Il mio indirizzo per la spedizione dell'atto è:

Your address....

Vi segnalo anche il mio indirizzo e-mail per ogni altra eventualità:

your e-mail address.

RingraziandoVi in anticipo per la Vostra gentilezza e premura colgo l'occasione per porgere i miei piu' cordiali saluti.

Michael Varvaro
User avatar
ItalianIrish
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 15 Aug 2005, 00:00
Location: Belfast Ireland

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by ItalianIrish »

Where would I find the birth certificate of my great grandfather Domenico Valente, born 1862 in San Pietro or San Pietro Infine in Frosinone.
Please help.
Every man dies, not every man really lives
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by misbris »

Here is info on San Pietro Infine. However it is in the province of Caserta, not Frosinone.
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/061/079/index.html


I did not find any town in Frosinone with that name. But here is a site that might help you.

http://www.italyworldclub.com/italian_f ... san_pu.htm
User avatar
bwatenz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: 16 May 2008, 23:28

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by bwatenz »

Can someone please translate this into Italian for me?

Thanks


Comune Uffico Di Stato Civile
Via Trieste
89030 Straiti RC
Italy


To whom this may concern,

Hello, My name in Michael Varvaro, and I am doing research on my family history. I would like to obtain a copy of an ACT for my Great Grandmother. Her name is Antonia Varvaro; maiden surname Trupio. She was born on August 15th, 1877 in Straiti Reggio Calabria, Italy.


Sincerly,

Michael Varvaro
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by PeterTimber »

dear B watens if you go to www.mangeruca.com you will find a similar letter in Italian in which you may request the same record. Since you are requesting a birth record I would request an ESTRATTO DI NASCITA=long form with more information. =Peter=
User avatar
torinese
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 Nov 2008, 12:28
Contact:

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by torinese »

hi

looking for information on vito iavernaro
laterza taranto

thank you
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by PeterTimber »

ou can go to the nearest Mormon church family history library and rent out the civil records for birth,marriage and detah in laterza from 1809 to 1860
WWW.FAMILYSEARH.ORG for location of library nearest you

You can send letter to Ufficio di stato Civile in laterza....www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html and send to Laterza (Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put inLaterza on tiop and click CERCA and then click Laterza and then use address for Municipio that comes up.


Go to www.paginebianche.it for directory for Laterza putting in name and beneath that Laterza and click CERCA for all Iavernaro in Laterza. =Peter=
User avatar
ldecerchio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 19 Nov 2008, 10:55

Re: Birth Records in Italy

Post by ldecerchio »

My name is Lisa De Cerchio and I am looking for the birth records of my great grandfather. He was born in Villamagna in Chieti in 1896 and emigrated to the US around 1912. I am considering applying for Italian citizenship and I want to find out some of the exact details about my ancestry. I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has :-)

Thanks, Lisa
Post Reply