laura has done a fantastic job at helping me gain information about my family and I believe I have the information to get the documents I've heard that I needed for dual citizenship or at least Italian passport. Can someone confirm I'm right on the laws?
My great grandfather was born in Italy, obtained citizenship AFTER giving birth to my grandfather who had my father and then myself (22 year old female). I'm eligible by decent because it is paternal and my grandfather was still born an italian citizen even though in the US correct?
Also, I'm led to believe I need birth, marriage and death certificates for each of the three generations above me...is this correct? Once I have these documents I then make an appointment with the consulate to show the papers right?
This is such a great group of people...thanks so much for all your help!
Cassie Laurenzo
Obtaining citizenship/passport
Re: Obtaining citizenship/passport
Hi Cassie, yes you do qualify, and you're right about the documents. However, much depends on the consulate at which you will be applying. Some require documents from the non-Italian side as well as from the line through which you derive citizenship. Which consulate will you be using?
- sassicassi
- Newbie

- Posts: 22
- Joined: 19 Jul 2008, 00:52
Re: Obtaining citizenship/passport
I'll be going through the Los angeles office. Basically all I need now is my great grandparents birth certificates but we're unsure of exactly where they were born...
