Hello Everyone.
My name is Chris and I'm currently living in Texas.
I'm currently having a small dilemma with my great grandfather's birth certificate. This is actually the only remaining document I need to complete my family archive.
Even though he signs as Miguel Zirolli on later documents, I have a gut feeling that his name was originally Michele Zirollo. According to his death certificate (which I have), he was born in Naples, Italy between the years 1855 and 1857. He later moved to Montevideo, Uruguay around 1880. He died in Montevideo, Uruguay right before 1900.
My main issue is knowing whether he was born in Naples the city or Naples the province.
Any suggestions are thanked in advance.
Searching for Michele Zirollo
- BillieDeKid
- Master

- Posts: 1207
- Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Illinois
Re: Searching for Michele Zirollo
I checked for Zirollo's and Zirolli's coming to the USA just to see where they were from.
Zirollo's coming to USA
Montoro Inferiore, province: Avellino - region: Campania
Montoro Superiore, province: Avellino - region: Campania
Zirolli's coming to USA
Forino, province: Avellino - region: Campania
Checking for name - Zirollo in region: Campania - (Existing there today)
No. of people with that name, comune, province
9.60, Torre del Greco, Napoli
6.90, Sant`Anastasia, Napoli
6.14, Napoli, Napoli
6.00, Benevento, Benevento
6.00, Montoro Inferiore, Avellino
5.88, Avellino, Avellino
3.51, Ercolano, Napoli
2.76 Castel Volturno Caserta
Checking for name - Zirolli in region: Campania - (Existing there today)
None
Do you happen to know if any family came to the USA? If so, can you give us the names and approximate years of birth etc. Any details you can give might help.
Zirollo's coming to USA
Montoro Inferiore, province: Avellino - region: Campania
Montoro Superiore, province: Avellino - region: Campania
Zirolli's coming to USA
Forino, province: Avellino - region: Campania
Checking for name - Zirollo in region: Campania - (Existing there today)
No. of people with that name, comune, province
9.60, Torre del Greco, Napoli
6.90, Sant`Anastasia, Napoli
6.14, Napoli, Napoli
6.00, Benevento, Benevento
6.00, Montoro Inferiore, Avellino
5.88, Avellino, Avellino
3.51, Ercolano, Napoli
2.76 Castel Volturno Caserta
Checking for name - Zirolli in region: Campania - (Existing there today)
None
Do you happen to know if any family came to the USA? If so, can you give us the names and approximate years of birth etc. Any details you can give might help.
- TheInvisibleFisherman
- Newbie

- Posts: 18
- Joined: 19 Jul 2008, 05:01
Re: Searching for Michele Zirollo
He did not come to the USA. He went straight from Italy to Montevideo.
I do not know what port he used in Italy when he embarked for Uruguay. What I do know is this:
- He was born around 1855-1857 in Naples (not sure if city or province)
- His father was Salvador Zirollo and his mother was Teresa Vivencia/Vivenzia/Vicenza
- He married Teresa Greco/Grieco/Griego in Uruguay.
- He had 7 children, all in Uruguay:
1. Angel Sabadino Zirolli Griego,
2. Salvador Ambrosio Ziroll Griego,
3. Miguel Zirolli
4. Paula Antonia Zirolli Griego
5. Juan Zirolli
6. Solferina Zirolli
7. Maria Zirolli
I do not know what port he used in Italy when he embarked for Uruguay. What I do know is this:
- He was born around 1855-1857 in Naples (not sure if city or province)
- His father was Salvador Zirollo and his mother was Teresa Vivencia/Vivenzia/Vicenza
- He married Teresa Greco/Grieco/Griego in Uruguay.
- He had 7 children, all in Uruguay:
1. Angel Sabadino Zirolli Griego,
2. Salvador Ambrosio Ziroll Griego,
3. Miguel Zirolli
4. Paula Antonia Zirolli Griego
5. Juan Zirolli
6. Solferina Zirolli
7. Maria Zirolli
- BillieDeKid
- Master

- Posts: 1207
- Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Illinois
Re: Searching for Michele Zirollo
Hi
Yes I understand he did not come to america...........but perhaps a brother, sister, aunt, uncle etc. came which might tell us the comune he was from which would enable you to send for his birth act.
So if you happen to know if any of his siblings or other relatives came to the US pleaes post whatever details you can.
Another possible option is to write to the comune's I listed with your great grandfathers name, span of years for possible birth and his parents names and request a search for his birth act.
There were no Zirolli's found in the search of that name in Campania only Zirollo. Here are the towns and provinces all in the region of Campania that you might want to write to with your request.
Torre del Greco, Napoli
Sant`Anastasia, Napoli
Napoli, Napoli
Benevento, Benevento
Montoro Inferiore, Avellino
Avellino, Avellino
Ercolano, Napoli
Castel Volturno Caserta
Here is a link with a form letter to use to request the birth act. All requests must be made in Italian. You will probably want to request an integral copy of the birth act (that will include his parents names, where his parents lived etc.). A regular request for a birth certificate will only give you his name, day, month and year of birth.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
If you need help modifying the letter to request an integral copy just post the letter to the translation forum and someone will help you.
Hope this helps.
Yes I understand he did not come to america...........but perhaps a brother, sister, aunt, uncle etc. came which might tell us the comune he was from which would enable you to send for his birth act.
So if you happen to know if any of his siblings or other relatives came to the US pleaes post whatever details you can.
Another possible option is to write to the comune's I listed with your great grandfathers name, span of years for possible birth and his parents names and request a search for his birth act.
There were no Zirolli's found in the search of that name in Campania only Zirollo. Here are the towns and provinces all in the region of Campania that you might want to write to with your request.
Torre del Greco, Napoli
Sant`Anastasia, Napoli
Napoli, Napoli
Benevento, Benevento
Montoro Inferiore, Avellino
Avellino, Avellino
Ercolano, Napoli
Castel Volturno Caserta
Here is a link with a form letter to use to request the birth act. All requests must be made in Italian. You will probably want to request an integral copy of the birth act (that will include his parents names, where his parents lived etc.). A regular request for a birth certificate will only give you his name, day, month and year of birth.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
If you need help modifying the letter to request an integral copy just post the letter to the translation forum and someone will help you.
Hope this helps.
- TheInvisibleFisherman
- Newbie

- Posts: 18
- Joined: 19 Jul 2008, 05:01
Re: Searching for Michele Zirollo
Yes. That would actually be a great idea. Maybe on ancestry.com I can trace him down through one of his siblings.
As far as the letter sending, I've already sent letters to 53 different comunes and had no luck.
I'm now going to bet on the chance that maybe one of his siblings came to the United States. That might actually work.
Thx Billie.
As far as the letter sending, I've already sent letters to 53 different comunes and had no luck.
I'm now going to bet on the chance that maybe one of his siblings came to the United States. That might actually work.
Thx Billie.
- TheInvisibleFisherman
- Newbie

- Posts: 18
- Joined: 19 Jul 2008, 05:01
Re: Searching for Michele Zirollo
I do have a quick question though. Will the ship manifest tell me his place of birth or the name of his parents or siblings?
And where would I find the passenger lists from the Port of Naples or Port of Montevideo?
I did find this, but I'm not sure if its history or actual passenger lists
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ada_y_sali
And where would I find the passenger lists from the Port of Naples or Port of Montevideo?
I did find this, but I'm not sure if its history or actual passenger lists
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ada_y_sali
- TheInvisibleFisherman
- Newbie

- Posts: 18
- Joined: 19 Jul 2008, 05:01
Re: Searching for Michele Zirollo
I've looked into the liste di leva method to find the exact town of origin. But one thing I dont understand is this:
According to the archivo di stato di napoli,
- liste di leva dei Comuni di Napoli e provincia dal 1842 al 1930 con molte lacune. Per la ricerca nominativa occorre indicare il luogo e la data di nascita del soggetto dell'indagine.
How do they have records since 1842, if the conscription order wasn't given until 1865. And if I read right, they require the place where he was born, the exact thing that I do not know as of now and trying to find out.
Any ideas would help. Thanks in advance.
According to the archivo di stato di napoli,
- liste di leva dei Comuni di Napoli e provincia dal 1842 al 1930 con molte lacune. Per la ricerca nominativa occorre indicare il luogo e la data di nascita del soggetto dell'indagine.
How do they have records since 1842, if the conscription order wasn't given until 1865. And if I read right, they require the place where he was born, the exact thing that I do not know as of now and trying to find out.
Any ideas would help. Thanks in advance.
- BillieDeKid
- Master

- Posts: 1207
- Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Illinois
Re: Searching for Michele Zirollo
There's a good chance he/she had to list a relative in Italy and also who and where he/she was going to in the USA.TheInvisibleFisherman wrote:Will the ship manifest tell me his place of birth or the name of his parents or siblings?
Use ancestry or www.stevemorse.org (gold form) to search by surname, I believe you can also search by port of departure etc.TheInvisibleFisherman wrote:And where would I find the passenger lists from the Port of Naples or Port of Montevideo?
I'm not sure what information this would include. Maybe another forum member can help you with this.TheInvisibleFisherman wrote:I did find this, but I'm not sure if its history or actual passenger lists
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ada_y_sali
- delfintres
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 31 Jul 2008, 20:06
Re: Searching for Michele Zirollo
My grand grand father born in Avellino or Montoro Inferiore in Dec 05 1871 he move to Montevideo and married here in 1904. Perhaps this info can help you because I think there not to many Zirollo´s in Avellino.
Regards
Regards