Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has done any research on WWI and the Italian Army. Know of any good websites??? Books???
I am wanting to look into my great-grandfather's service during WWI and want to see of I can find out info regarding their units... where they fought, etc.
Any ideas, suggestions are much appreciated!!
Thank you,
Deb
WWI research
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: WWI research
Your fathers army records are available in the provincial offices from where he was conscripted. Request his discharge Records (foglio di Congedo illimitato) which contains biographical, physical descruiption, vocation and education. They also give information regarding the date and place of draft length of service, transfers, campaigns, medals and wounds.
Please advise. =Peter=
Please advise. =Peter=
Re: WWI research
Hi Peter
Is the document you refer to (foglio di Congedo illimitato) much different than the (foglio matricolare)? Or are they the same document?
thank you,
Mauro
Is the document you refer to (foglio di Congedo illimitato) much different than the (foglio matricolare)? Or are they the same document?
thank you,
Mauro
Re: WWI research
Peter,
Thank you for your advice. I looked through my papers and found I do have those for both my great-grandfathers.
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/756/ ... erskk8.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/479/ ... rs2yq2.jpg
I have not had them translated, so do not know how much information they provide. I have tried before to look up their regiments on the computer to see what I could find out, but really wasn't getting anywhere.
So, I was wondering if anyone else has gone in that direction and if they found any good sources in their research.
Thank you,
Deb
Thank you for your advice. I looked through my papers and found I do have those for both my great-grandfathers.
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/756/ ... erskk8.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/479/ ... rs2yq2.jpg
I have not had them translated, so do not know how much information they provide. I have tried before to look up their regiments on the computer to see what I could find out, but really wasn't getting anywhere.
So, I was wondering if anyone else has gone in that direction and if they found any good sources in their research.
Thank you,
Deb
Re: WWI research
Contact member Biff who is amazing finding out about War information. He helped me out about a year ago.
As a side note...those document are pretty old so perhaps you may want to have them preserved to keep them from deteriorating any further. Use archival paper which can be found at many office supply stores and maybe art shops.
As a side note...those document are pretty old so perhaps you may want to have them preserved to keep them from deteriorating any further. Use archival paper which can be found at many office supply stores and maybe art shops.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: WWI research
The registro di foglie matricolare (draftee resume of service record) includes details of the mans military service,including such items as promotions. This registro appears to be more of a resume that a factual compilation that the Foglio di Congedo illimitato(Discharge Records) would contain. =Peter=
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: WWI research
You might wish to e-mail The Italian Army central document office at cedoc_roma@esercito.difesa.it and ask them for an english version source for your inquiry and/or write to the Biblioteca Miltare Centrale, Uffico Storico, Via XX Setttembre 00192, Roma, Italy.
You might wish to go to www.mangeruca.com if you wish a form letter to assist you in your inquiry to the military library since it is tailored for milityary document requests. =Peter=
You might wish to go to www.mangeruca.com if you wish a form letter to assist you in your inquiry to the military library since it is tailored for milityary document requests. =Peter=
Re: WWI research
Peter & Nuccia,
Thank you both for your responses and advice!!
Deb
Thank you both for your responses and advice!!
Deb



