Possible 1910 census for Francesco Giuliano
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/9678 ... susra4.jpg
Take a look and see what you think.
Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?
- BillieDeKid
- Master

- Posts: 1207
- Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Illinois
- jjulian14712
- Veteran

- Posts: 104
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 00:00
- Location: Upstate New York
Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?
Elizabeth,
Thank you!
The census lists Francesco Giuliano as a barge canal worker. Is it possible that my grandfather came to this country with the intent to work on the canal, which is why his destination was Rochester? That would make the manifest entry for the May 1 voyage of the Verona the correct one. It could also explain how he made his way across New York State to end up in the westernmost section.
Is there any other way to verify whether we have the right person?
Thank you!
The census lists Francesco Giuliano as a barge canal worker. Is it possible that my grandfather came to this country with the intent to work on the canal, which is why his destination was Rochester? That would make the manifest entry for the May 1 voyage of the Verona the correct one. It could also explain how he made his way across New York State to end up in the westernmost section.
Is there any other way to verify whether we have the right person?
Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?
Another problem I've run into is that sometimes the actual manifest is not the one it's supposed to be. On a couple that I've looked up the actual manifest is from a different ship. That's understandable with the number of records that they had to scan and keep track of, but it was disappointing when I thought I found an ancestor.
Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?
When that happens, post the info here. We have members on this site who are absolute magicians, and can find just about anything. 
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?
Since we are discussing the foibles of the Ellis island arrivals that oftimes when people arrived there and detained for some reason and then cleared for admission into the USA (their names would be deleted from the original manfiest or altered in some way to denote a change in their immediate status) their names would be place on the manifest of the next incoming ship as an arriving immigrant. =Peter=
- carmine1917
- Elite

- Posts: 269
- Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 02:10
- Location: New York
Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?
The manifest was done by volunteers. My grandfathers name, the U is a V. Errors happen, I was glad to find it.
Ancestry.com problem with manifest often goes to the wrong page. Try stevemorse.org, his site is AMAZING for researching.
I went to Ellis the other day. I was told that there are many manifest after 1924, but they need researchers to put it together.
I have also heard stories from people that there grandparents will say one thing and its another. One guy told me that the manifest has his grandpa as 5"3 and he was 5'11. Keep trying. Also this forum is the best and most helpful I have seen online.
Ancestry.com problem with manifest often goes to the wrong page. Try stevemorse.org, his site is AMAZING for researching.
I went to Ellis the other day. I was told that there are many manifest after 1924, but they need researchers to put it together.
I have also heard stories from people that there grandparents will say one thing and its another. One guy told me that the manifest has his grandpa as 5"3 and he was 5'11. Keep trying. Also this forum is the best and most helpful I have seen online.
