While I was driving around today, I got a call from a distant cousin who has all the info for my Nana's side of the family tree. She and I exchanged pleasantries, and she and I have decided to start chatting by email so that I can send her my copy of the family and vice versa.
Come to find out, she does not use a computer program, she has all these huge graph sheets filled with data which she is going to email to me. She asked that I still send my copy of the family tree in email.
I exported my family file to a GEDCOM file (.GED), and then I began to wonder...do they have GEDCOM File Viewers? What if she does not have anything that can open the file that I am sending her?!
So I search Google, and came up with a bunch of different file viewers for GEDCOM files, and I also found out that I could just open the file with Notepad, or all most any other text editor!
What a kick in the pants!
Anyways, so!
My question is, with the GEDCOM files that I made, I noticed that all the personal notes that I have included in the program were also exported into the GEDCOM file (obituaries, personal stories related to me by family members, family poetry, etc).
Is there any way that anyone knows of, or any program that any one knows of, that can extract only certain data (Names and dates only, preferably) from these files so that I can share that information with others?
Thanks in advance for all the help!
Vince




