Hello. This is a great forum.
I'd like to find information about my family in Sicily before they left for the US, but am not sure how to begin with the scant information I have. Here is what I know:
My great grandfather, Gennaro Caccamo (39), emigrated to the US in 1913. The Ellis Island ship manifest shows that he arrived on October 21, 1913 aboard the Hamburg. His last place of residence was Catania. On May 7, 1914, the rest of his family arrived at Ellis Island aboard the Patria. The family was: wife - Anna Scalia (37); children - Angela (12), Giuseppe (11), Pietra (6), and Luigi (3).
That's all I have. I've found a lot of records pertaining to my family in the US, but absolutely nothing from Sicily. What would be the best first step to get started there?
Thank you.
Looking for info on Caccamo family in Catania before 1913
Re: Looking for info on Caccamo family in Catania before 191
You can try this:
Potential Relative
Using the following site to check for address:
Pagine
cognome = surname
dove = town
cerca = search
wldspirit
Potential Relative
Using the following site to check for address:
Pagine
cognome = surname
dove = town
cerca = search
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Looking for info on Caccamo family in Catania before 191
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!
Usually most folks collect all their US records first.
That assures you that you have the correct family when you get your Italian records.
Italian records require the exact town since the records are kept at the comune level.
It appears that Catania was also his place of birth (pg 2 of your 1913 manifest)
Catania could be the town or province…
Valarie
Usually most folks collect all their US records first.
That assures you that you have the correct family when you get your Italian records.
Italian records require the exact town since the records are kept at the comune level.
It appears that Catania was also his place of birth (pg 2 of your 1913 manifest)
Catania could be the town or province…
Valarie
Re: Looking for info on Caccamo family in Catania before 191
A couple of records in case you haven’t seen them:
WWI Draft Registration Card
Born 14 May 1874
possible 1941 Naturalization Index Card
and
Family Name/ Given Name/ Year/ Petition Volume/ Petition Number/ Soundex
Caccamo Gennaro 1941 1112 305622 C250
Form for ordering naturalization records:
http://www.italiangen.org/Naturalizatio ... enSite.pdf
---
Also, these may help you locate New York City records:
Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York
NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902 (requires ancestry. com subscription)
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948
Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives
WWI Draft Registration Card
Born 14 May 1874
possible 1941 Naturalization Index Card
and
Family Name/ Given Name/ Year/ Petition Volume/ Petition Number/ Soundex
Caccamo Gennaro 1941 1112 305622 C250
Form for ordering naturalization records:
http://www.italiangen.org/Naturalizatio ... enSite.pdf
---
Also, these may help you locate New York City records:
Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York
NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902 (requires ancestry. com subscription)
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948
Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives
Re: Looking for info on Caccamo family in Catania before 191
Thank you, everybody.
VJ, I have seen the WWI draft registration and the naturalization card. Thank you for being so kind as to research it for me. I also have copies of all applicable US Census records. I've yet to use a Mormon family history library, which I think would be my next step. How likely is it that they'd have any information from Sicily?
VJ, I have seen the WWI draft registration and the naturalization card. Thank you for being so kind as to research it for me. I also have copies of all applicable US Census records. I've yet to use a Mormon family history library, which I think would be my next step. How likely is it that they'd have any information from Sicily?
Re: Looking for info on Caccamo family in Catania before 191
If you’re comfortable with the town of Catania
Your local Family History Center can order microfilm for you:
Catania
Valarie
FamilySearch Library search page
Your local Family History Center can order microfilm for you:
Catania
Valarie
FamilySearch Library search page
Re: Looking for info on Caccamo family in Catania before 191
Hello,Lou3 wrote:Hello. This is a great forum.
I'd like to find information about my family in Sicily before they left for the US, but am not sure how to begin with the scant information I have. Here is what I know:
My great grandfather, Gennaro Caccamo (39), emigrated to the US in 1913. The Ellis Island ship manifest shows that he arrived on October 21, 1913 aboard the Hamburg. His last place of residence was Catania. On May 7, 1914, the rest of his family arrived at Ellis Island aboard the Patria. The family was: wife - Anna Scalia (37); children - Angela (12), Giuseppe (11), Pietra (6), and Luigi (3).
That's all I have. I've found a lot of records pertaining to my family in the US, but absolutely nothing from Sicily. What would be the best first step to get started there?
Thank you.
you can request to get their birth record (writing only in Italian) to
Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Castello Ursino 10
95121 Catania
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Looking for info on Caccamo family in Catania before 191
If you are sending a letter for records in Italy in Italian you may prefer to use a form letter for such records in Italian by going to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italy_tools.html =Peter=


