I am having some trouble obtaining my GGFs birth certificate/l'estratto dell'atto di nascita from the comune and am wondering if anyone happens to know whether I can request an official certificate from the state/province instead? This is for dual citizenship purposes.
The problem is that the comune's pre-1900 registries were destroyed in an earthquake, which they informed me via email upon receiving my request.
However, I found the copy of the relevant registry on LDS microfilm. My understanding is that LDS did the microfilming at state archives (in this case, Avellino), not at each individual comune. It appears that LDS completed this several years after the earthquake so it is reasonable to assume that the registry still exists intact at the state archive.
I emailed the comune back a few weeks ago asking them this very question, and even attached pdf's of my GGFs birth entry from the registry, but I haven't heard from them. Calling them is not really an option since my Italian is very rudimentary.
If anyone has any information/advice, I would appreciate it tremendously...thank you in advance!!
Birth cert from state/provincial archive rather than comune?
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Birth cert from state/provincial archive rather than com
Dear Kmaldo Your probably better off writing directly to the Provincial Archives and use a "proper" form letter in Italian language, Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html =Peter=
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Birth cert from state/provincial archive rather than com
Give me the information and I will call them for you.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
