Hi everyone, what a fantastic site.
Carlo Manfredi b1858 and Marie (nee Ginocchio) Manfredi b1861 came to England 1881-1884, they had a daughter Marie b1881 Italy.They had three son,s all born in UK, John b1884, Joseph b1886 and Louis b1896. All I know is that they came from Genova and I would like to find the town, and find other ancestors.
Carlo married again after Marie,s death and on the UK marriage cert he named his father as John. If I understand the Italian traditions in the naming of children correctly, would I be right in saying,
Paternal,1st son named after grandfather,
2nd daughter after grandmother.
Maternal, 1st Daughter after Grandmother
2nd son named after grandfather
(Im guessing) that would make Marie,s father Joseph Ginocchio!!
I was told that Carlo had brothers that emigrated to the USA at much the same time but I don't have any names to go with that.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Manfredi and Ginocchio Genoa
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Manfredi and Ginocchio Genoa
the earliest passenger lists starting in 1880 to 1900 have approximately 50 Manfredi who appear to have entered the USA starting in 1890. Go to www.castlegarden.org and keep it for later when you get to this phase of your family genealogy in the USA. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Manfredi and Ginocchio Genoa
thanks Peter,
I appreciate that.
I appreciate that.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Manfredi and Ginocchio Genoa
It has been my experience that the first child was named after paternal mother/father names and second child was named after maternal mother child names and then back again until the 5th child who would then be named after Paternal oldest brother/sister and 6th after maternal oldest brother sister. This occurred in my family and perhaps reflected the usage existing in their place of origin. There may have been variances due to deaths and other family circumstances, usages in other places etc. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Manfredi and Ginocchio Genoa
that does create a few anomalies in my theory! 
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Manfredi and Ginocchio Genoa
My account is purely anec dotal and personal but there is a website www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italiannaming.html that ay shed some light on your research objective. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Manfredi and Ginocchio Genoa
Peter, that is a very good website, everyone would be well advised to take a look.
