ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
Mille is thousand
cento is hundred
millecentonovatrentcinque =1935
If you get confused, get a card or piece of paper. Cover the whole thing, and move the card to the left a little at a time. Before you know it, you wont have to do this.
I am going to pm you a list of number translations
cento is hundred
millecentonovatrentcinque =1935
If you get confused, get a card or piece of paper. Cover the whole thing, and move the card to the left a little at a time. Before you know it, you wont have to do this.
I am going to pm you a list of number translations
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
I'm going to check into this, I think I would prefer to start with anything that is typewritten first......see how that goes, time has been at a premium lately!!
But I would like to give the Italian records a try...I say try because I have never had the chance to consult microfilm, my town of origin isn't filmed and more than likely never will be......
wldspirit
But I would like to give the Italian records a try...I say try because I have never had the chance to consult microfilm, my town of origin isn't filmed and more than likely never will be......
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
I started yesterday to index and I started with the Verbania-Cusio-Ossola acts. They are Marriage banns for the town of Arona, on Lake Maggiore. I know this town very well. My mother was born next to it but she will not be on any of those acts as they stop in 1937 and she was born later.
It looked very nice and clean as the groom and bride's names were very clear and I thought it was easy as I'm familiar with those surnames.
The problem started when I had to write their mothers names and surnames. It took me half an hour to decipher one name and at the end I decided it could only be "Faustina". No way to understand her surname, it could have been anything. The first letter looked "I", "F", "L". The following letter was just a vertical line but wasn't "i" and other letters were all similar except for one which I think was a "t". This officer must have been a nervous man and didn't care much of those women seen that 80 per cent of them were dead.
I don't have problems with birth places as I know the town names (and I can guess also when it's badly written) but the program keeps on telling me that I have to review the name. Haven't they considered that people could have been born somewhere else?
Well I'm Italian and I find it a bit hard to read completely these acts, I wonder what foreign people can read when indexing.
The officer writing these banns says he's substituting the Mayor who is sick at the moment. I hope he recovers soon and has a better handwriting....
Ada
It looked very nice and clean as the groom and bride's names were very clear and I thought it was easy as I'm familiar with those surnames.
The problem started when I had to write their mothers names and surnames. It took me half an hour to decipher one name and at the end I decided it could only be "Faustina". No way to understand her surname, it could have been anything. The first letter looked "I", "F", "L". The following letter was just a vertical line but wasn't "i" and other letters were all similar except for one which I think was a "t". This officer must have been a nervous man and didn't care much of those women seen that 80 per cent of them were dead.
I don't have problems with birth places as I know the town names (and I can guess also when it's badly written) but the program keeps on telling me that I have to review the name. Haven't they considered that people could have been born somewhere else?
Well I'm Italian and I find it a bit hard to read completely these acts, I wonder what foreign people can read when indexing.
The officer writing these banns says he's substituting the Mayor who is sick at the moment. I hope he recovers soon and has a better handwriting....
Ada
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
I think you are getting a bit confused: 1935 is millenovecentotrentacinqueEleven wrote:
millecentonovatrentcinque =1935
Ada
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
Ada,
scriverò in inglese (come posso
) così anche i nostri amici americani comprendono...
There is also another incongruence...
There are marriages which were registered in Arona but were celebrated in another town (Ada, the act signed with an S after the number)...
It seem you don't have the chance to "specify" that the marriage was registered in Arona but took place in another town..(or maybe I'm missing something?)
I just was wondering how they will do when the records will be online... a researcher should think that their ancestors were married in Arona while the town was another...
Laura
scriverò in inglese (come posso
There is also another incongruence...
There are marriages which were registered in Arona but were celebrated in another town (Ada, the act signed with an S after the number)...
It seem you don't have the chance to "specify" that the marriage was registered in Arona but took place in another town..(or maybe I'm missing something?)
I just was wondering how they will do when the records will be online... a researcher should think that their ancestors were married in Arona while the town was another...
Laura
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
Laura,
I didn't reach that point yet, I spent too much time in trying to understand how the program worked and then deciphering those names. That's another problem! I know what you mean, I saw them when I went through my ancestors town, they are the Supplementary acts and they report a notification they received from another Town Hall. And these notifications are also sent when someone dies in another town or a child of a resident is born in another town. It seems impossible to me that they didn't take this into consideration. Unless they didn't know that in Italy the town where you are born always gets notifications of all what happens to you (marriage, children births, death).
Let me know if/how you solve that. I'll do the same in case.
Ada
I didn't reach that point yet, I spent too much time in trying to understand how the program worked and then deciphering those names. That's another problem! I know what you mean, I saw them when I went through my ancestors town, they are the Supplementary acts and they report a notification they received from another Town Hall. And these notifications are also sent when someone dies in another town or a child of a resident is born in another town. It seems impossible to me that they didn't take this into consideration. Unless they didn't know that in Italy the town where you are born always gets notifications of all what happens to you (marriage, children births, death).
Let me know if/how you solve that. I'll do the same in case.
Ada
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
If an Italian living in Italy finds these records difficult....then I have no chance and would be better to stick with the transcription of American records....typewritten at that!!
Which I should be able to fly thru as I type pretty fast!!!
wldspirit
Which I should be able to fly thru as I type pretty fast!!!
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
I don't know if it will help, but Familysearch.org has a few articles on Italian records. One of the research helps is a 12-page genealogy wordlist translating the Italian words commonly found in birth, marriage, and death records. The link for the actual document (PDF format) is
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... anWL04.pdf
Sal
www.trentinoheritage.com
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... anWL04.pdf
Sal
www.trentinoheritage.com
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
Ada, remind me never to type another language, just before going to bed..lol
I wanted to address a few things. First, There is a lot of look alike letters in these marriages. You will see T and cant figure out if its a T or a C. Z and F look similar and L and S. What you have to do is scroll around and find something you know starts with the letter you cant figure out. For the T-C look for Carlo, Carolina, etc...or find something you are sure starts with a T. Dont worry about errors, the arbitrator will catch them..and if not, we have all used indexes before and know..they arent always correct. This is why we have to vary the spelling and keep trying when we search.
Once you get familiar with these letters and names, its a piece of cake. The names repeat throughout.
I turn off the highlights when I do this, because I scroll around. On almost every marriage and some publications, if you scroll down to the bottom, there are the signatures of the people. Very often, these are written more clearly..with normal looking letters. Oh..and Faustina was probably correct, I have seen it before.
That popup list is just suggestions. Because a name doesnt appear there, it doesnt mean it is incorrect. That is just ancestrys collection of names, that will help you. I do believe you can shut that..but it is helpful. Sometimes, you cant make out a name and its in there..you try one letter at a time when you type to see if anything comes, that looks like the name. I have been helped quite a bit with that. But, be careful..if the name you want is say..Bondi and that name isnt in their list but Bondini is..as you move, you might find the thing added the "ni". Always run the mouse over the name you entered just to be sure it didnt add extra letters, making it something else. The more you work on these records, the easier they become. A set used to take me over a half hour, now, its usually half that time.
We are creating an index. Of course, that is basic information, so people can recognize their people and then view the record. There really only has to be limited information on these things..just like there is on the cards that we bring up in an ellis island search. Why in Gods name they need the towns, is beyond me. I say this, because for me, I find it problematic. I could zip thru these things twice as fast if not for these towns. I have to google almost every one..and I keep a running list. I know that these records are kept both in the town the people come from and the town the event took place. I dont know why we cant just enter where it took place.
When I started at ancestry, I already had 4 months of experience from the FHL. I started in both places, with american records, so that I could get a feel for what I was doing and become familiar with the software. I was working at the FHL 2 months when they selected me to arbitrate, because of my work with the italian records. Now, I know I do ok..but this indicated to me that they probably didnt have a lot of people working on them. I was afraid to arbitrate..but once I did..lol..I saw why I was asked. They have more people there, taking a chance on italian records, and you can actually tell the italians from the non italians..lol Some records that I arbitrated were really bad..lol But, thats ok. The person helped by getting that record off the pile and moving along. If nobody tries, then they just sit there.
Wldspirt, an easy record to learn on at ancestry is the NY naturalization cards (not NYC). NY is one type written name, 10 cards per set. I did a few hundred of those when I started..and over 1000 when I wanted to boost my accuracy so I could arbitrate.
Once you get used to everything..give the italian records a shot. You can download a set..take a look..and send it right back, if you dont want to do it.
Now..I am going to type 1935, 100 times, while fully awake..lol
I wanted to address a few things. First, There is a lot of look alike letters in these marriages. You will see T and cant figure out if its a T or a C. Z and F look similar and L and S. What you have to do is scroll around and find something you know starts with the letter you cant figure out. For the T-C look for Carlo, Carolina, etc...or find something you are sure starts with a T. Dont worry about errors, the arbitrator will catch them..and if not, we have all used indexes before and know..they arent always correct. This is why we have to vary the spelling and keep trying when we search.
Once you get familiar with these letters and names, its a piece of cake. The names repeat throughout.
I turn off the highlights when I do this, because I scroll around. On almost every marriage and some publications, if you scroll down to the bottom, there are the signatures of the people. Very often, these are written more clearly..with normal looking letters. Oh..and Faustina was probably correct, I have seen it before.
That popup list is just suggestions. Because a name doesnt appear there, it doesnt mean it is incorrect. That is just ancestrys collection of names, that will help you. I do believe you can shut that..but it is helpful. Sometimes, you cant make out a name and its in there..you try one letter at a time when you type to see if anything comes, that looks like the name. I have been helped quite a bit with that. But, be careful..if the name you want is say..Bondi and that name isnt in their list but Bondini is..as you move, you might find the thing added the "ni". Always run the mouse over the name you entered just to be sure it didnt add extra letters, making it something else. The more you work on these records, the easier they become. A set used to take me over a half hour, now, its usually half that time.
We are creating an index. Of course, that is basic information, so people can recognize their people and then view the record. There really only has to be limited information on these things..just like there is on the cards that we bring up in an ellis island search. Why in Gods name they need the towns, is beyond me. I say this, because for me, I find it problematic. I could zip thru these things twice as fast if not for these towns. I have to google almost every one..and I keep a running list. I know that these records are kept both in the town the people come from and the town the event took place. I dont know why we cant just enter where it took place.
When I started at ancestry, I already had 4 months of experience from the FHL. I started in both places, with american records, so that I could get a feel for what I was doing and become familiar with the software. I was working at the FHL 2 months when they selected me to arbitrate, because of my work with the italian records. Now, I know I do ok..but this indicated to me that they probably didnt have a lot of people working on them. I was afraid to arbitrate..but once I did..lol..I saw why I was asked. They have more people there, taking a chance on italian records, and you can actually tell the italians from the non italians..lol Some records that I arbitrated were really bad..lol But, thats ok. The person helped by getting that record off the pile and moving along. If nobody tries, then they just sit there.
Wldspirt, an easy record to learn on at ancestry is the NY naturalization cards (not NYC). NY is one type written name, 10 cards per set. I did a few hundred of those when I started..and over 1000 when I wanted to boost my accuracy so I could arbitrate.
Once you get used to everything..give the italian records a shot. You can download a set..take a look..and send it right back, if you dont want to do it.
Now..I am going to type 1935, 100 times, while fully awake..lol
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
Pink..as per how people will know...once they find their names on the index, they view the document. You were able to read it...so they will see it too. (Forget me, I only read what I need to, to get the info off the document...lol)
This is only an index, the information is just enough so people will recognize their person. Then they can figure out the rest, themselves when the see it.
To me, the most important thing, is the name...especially the last name.
Do the best you can and they encourage you to give it your best guess, if you cant figure it out.
As I said..we all have index experience. We used them for ellis island, censuses, etc and we all know they arent perfect and you have to try different spellings. I figured, as Italians, familiar with the names, we can do a better job than most.
This is only an index, the information is just enough so people will recognize their person. Then they can figure out the rest, themselves when the see it.
To me, the most important thing, is the name...especially the last name.
Do the best you can and they encourage you to give it your best guess, if you cant figure it out.
As I said..we all have index experience. We used them for ellis island, censuses, etc and we all know they arent perfect and you have to try different spellings. I figured, as Italians, familiar with the names, we can do a better job than most.
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
Eleven,
I know the name "Faustina" and I've heard it before, the problem was the way it was written. This officer has reduced the alphabet to a few letters which are just longer or shorter vertical lines with a few variations. If I can at the end guess first names when I see mother's surnames I have to leave many as illegible and I can say I have experience in reading handwriting.
I know there are signatures at the end but if the mother is dead.....or if the groom and bride are of age there is no need for parents signature.
The last surname I saw was spelt "Carini" by the officer and "Carina" when the mother signed. LOL I trusted the officer as the signer didn't look very familiar with writing.
One more thing I have noticed is that the program doesn't ask their civil status (single or widow/er).
I will do my best as I like things to be done in a correct way and leave what is not possible to read.
Ada
I know the name "Faustina" and I've heard it before, the problem was the way it was written. This officer has reduced the alphabet to a few letters which are just longer or shorter vertical lines with a few variations. If I can at the end guess first names when I see mother's surnames I have to leave many as illegible and I can say I have experience in reading handwriting.
I know there are signatures at the end but if the mother is dead.....or if the groom and bride are of age there is no need for parents signature.
The last surname I saw was spelt "Carini" by the officer and "Carina" when the mother signed. LOL I trusted the officer as the signer didn't look very familiar with writing.
One more thing I have noticed is that the program doesn't ask their civil status (single or widow/er).
I will do my best as I like things to be done in a correct way and leave what is not possible to read.
Ada
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
Dont worry about info they dont list..this is only an index. The people will see what you are seeing when they bring up the document.
As you work on these...I dont know if its me, or what...but they seem to do the worst, on the maiden name of the mothers. You can have everything else clear as a bell and get to that name...and be staring at it for a half hour..lol
After a while, when you become familiar with the most common names, you will know what it is...but, if it is a new name..maybe someone who was born elsewhere..forget it..lol
They like people to take a guess, so that when the arbitrators get it, they have 2 things to compare. Not everyone is comfortable guessing, tho. I have arbitrated loads of documents where one person has marked it illegible. I have done that myself on occasion, when I dont have the patience to keep staring at something that I really cant see.
I just did a set where the info taker had the most odd letter P. The only reason that I knew what it was, was because one of the female names was Palmira.
In doing both these records and the trento baptisms for the FHL, I have come across some very odd first names. I would think some were mistakes, had I not seen them show up more than once.
I love this stuff. I think the Italian names are so beautiful..like music.
I am so happy you all gave this a try. I would like to see all of our towns online, someday and the only way this will get done, is if people like us work on them.
Ada, you are giving it your best shot..and believe me..you will get better and better at this...the more you do. I have seen people make such a mess out of some of the names..they end up not even being italian..lol I KNOW I make mistakes..both in keying and arbitrating, but, it cant be helped. Everyone makes mistakes..the old style writing both in english and italian is difficult to read. You just have to do the best you can..and hope that people know enough to try to search by misspelling the name. I found a lot of records for my grandfather like that. His surname starts with "di". I have found him using "de" and again leaving that out and using the rest of the name.
As you work on these...I dont know if its me, or what...but they seem to do the worst, on the maiden name of the mothers. You can have everything else clear as a bell and get to that name...and be staring at it for a half hour..lol
After a while, when you become familiar with the most common names, you will know what it is...but, if it is a new name..maybe someone who was born elsewhere..forget it..lol
They like people to take a guess, so that when the arbitrators get it, they have 2 things to compare. Not everyone is comfortable guessing, tho. I have arbitrated loads of documents where one person has marked it illegible. I have done that myself on occasion, when I dont have the patience to keep staring at something that I really cant see.
I just did a set where the info taker had the most odd letter P. The only reason that I knew what it was, was because one of the female names was Palmira.
In doing both these records and the trento baptisms for the FHL, I have come across some very odd first names. I would think some were mistakes, had I not seen them show up more than once.
I love this stuff. I think the Italian names are so beautiful..like music.
I am so happy you all gave this a try. I would like to see all of our towns online, someday and the only way this will get done, is if people like us work on them.
Ada, you are giving it your best shot..and believe me..you will get better and better at this...the more you do. I have seen people make such a mess out of some of the names..they end up not even being italian..lol I KNOW I make mistakes..both in keying and arbitrating, but, it cant be helped. Everyone makes mistakes..the old style writing both in english and italian is difficult to read. You just have to do the best you can..and hope that people know enough to try to search by misspelling the name. I found a lot of records for my grandfather like that. His surname starts with "di". I have found him using "de" and again leaving that out and using the rest of the name.
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
mille= thousand cento=hundred
so 1935 would be unomillenovecentotrentacinque
so 1935 would be unomillenovecentotrentacinque
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
sorry, didn't realize there was a second page 
Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index
Thats ok.
They dont have uno on these records. They all start with the mille.
They dont have uno on these records. They all start with the mille.



