ancestry volunteers get access to images they index

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index

Post by Eleven »

WARNING!

I just wanted to warn everyone that went over to ancestry, to key records to beware. I felt I should tell you whats going on, just in case you dont read the forums.

Yesterday, ancestry updated their software to a new version, that was supposed to have some bug fixes and some new options. Well, it seems to be bugged more than before.

First, some people cant even get it to open when they get the automatic update. (I am one of them, no matter what I do, I cant get the program to open any longer).

People that can get it to work, are reporting all sorts of bugs on their forum. Most are harmless. One said she cant get it to key the month of may, it tells her that isnt found on their list. You can bypass that by typing may and hitting f7.

Another said the highlights dont stay turned off, per set. Now you have to shut them off for each page.

There were a couple of other little quirks, most are annoying, but harmless.

The big one is, their "blank bug" seems to have returned. They had this in the past and it was fixed, but its back.

If you use ctrl blank in any field, when the arbitrators get the work, the field next to the blank will have the information removed and that will be blank also. If it is not a field that needs to be filled in..you can just hit enter to pass it. You dont have to put <blank>. If it wont let you leave it empty, use the f7.

If you are watching your accuracy there, this bug can send that way down.

I figured I would tell everyone, since they dont inform you.
User avatar
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 66
Joined: 13 Feb 2009, 03:47
Location: Bastrop, TX

Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index

Post by sigel7 »

Well, I was hit hard too. I cannot get in. I was at 822 records and ready to get to 900 so I can peek, but no longer. I think it might have something to do w/ the system requirements as my computer no longer reaches what it is asking for. They may have asked for a pentium 4 all along, but my AMD Sempron was working it until the change and the Sempron is less powerful than the pentium 4. I asked them, but have not gotten any straight answers.

I hope it works itself out here soon.
Looking for Calderoni
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index

Post by Eleven »

Hey..are you there with a different name? I messaged someone in there that said the same exact thing that you are saying. Look across the top, on the dashboard, where the forums are. We can now send messages. Anyway, what I told you was...if you enjoy doing the volunteer work and cant get in ancestry, try volunteering for the LDS. Their program is bugless, its easier to use and you get no accuracy score. Plus, they never stop thanking you.

https://www.familysearchindexing.org/home.jsf

I still cant get my ancestry keying tool to open. Yesterday, they sent me an uninstaller/installer program. I think I tried it 5-6 times. It doesnt work. Mine will install, then when I click it, it searches for updates and tells me it stopped working.

Today, they sent me another file, to replace one of the dll files in the program. I did that..same. It wont work.

I know there are others that cant get theirs to work either and I am betting several people left because of this. This isnt the first time this has happened. Last month they had an update and people had these same problems. I didnt, tho..I updated fine, that time.

I dont think the requirements changed...even tho it says pentium 4. If it worked for people last time, it should work this time. My computer is new..well, year and a half old. I have never had this type problem, anywhere with this computer. It is something on their end. It is not anything that we are doing.
User avatar
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 66
Joined: 13 Feb 2009, 03:47
Location: Bastrop, TX

Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index

Post by sigel7 »

Yes, its me. I have the family search on my computer. I wasnt able to download the software till this afternoon so I will start tonight. Thanks for that heads up. I will say the tech support emailed me back quickly there.
Looking for Calderoni
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: ancestry volunteers get access to images they index

Post by Eleven »

So..that was you..lol

You will like the FHL software better. I started there in august and for ancestry in december. I found the fhl software so much easier to use. None of this setup nonsense. They update, too..and I never had problems with theirs. I find their projects more interesting, too. Not all of those boring little cards.
Post Reply