Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Rocco's brother Angelo's WWII Draft Reg card
Name: Angelo Attilio Masi
Birth Date: 15 Dec 1888
RESIDENCE: Bristol, Massachusetts
Birth: Forenza, Italy
Race: White
edited to add following manifest
Angelo Masi's 1907 ship manifest, line 4
Name: Attilio Angelo Masi
Arrival Date: 5 Jul 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Prinzess Irene
Nearest relative in Italy: mother Antonetta Abbruzzese?? at Corso Umberto #36?
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Last residence and place of birth: Forenza
Destination: Stamford CT to join fathjer Raffaele
Biff
Name: Angelo Attilio Masi
Birth Date: 15 Dec 1888
RESIDENCE: Bristol, Massachusetts
Birth: Forenza, Italy
Race: White
edited to add following manifest
Angelo Masi's 1907 ship manifest, line 4
Name: Attilio Angelo Masi
Arrival Date: 5 Jul 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Prinzess Irene
Nearest relative in Italy: mother Antonetta Abbruzzese?? at Corso Umberto #36?
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Last residence and place of birth: Forenza
Destination: Stamford CT to join fathjer Raffaele
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Neat record Biff!
I'm trying to find their father Raffaele & brother Michele born abt 1905.
---
Do you think Giuffreda = Jeffre = Geoffrey
(Sorry Geoff I couldn't resist)
Valarie
I'm trying to find their father Raffaele & brother Michele born abt 1905.
---
Do you think Giuffreda = Jeffre = Geoffrey
(Sorry Geoff I couldn't resist)
Valarie
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Thanks, Valarie.
Would you check Angelo's 1907 manifest I posted above and see if you can determine his mother's name?
Biff
Would you check Angelo's 1907 manifest I posted above and see if you can determine his mother's name?
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Michele Masi
Father Raffaele back in Forenza
possible 1921 manifest
page 2
August 1921 SS Canopic Naples to Boston
Line 5
Father Raffaele back in Forenza
possible 1921 manifest
page 2
August 1921 SS Canopic Naples to Boston
Line 5
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Dupe post to Valarie's above record.
Biff
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
W 8O WBiff83 wrote:Would you check Angelo's 1907 manifest I posted above and see if you can determine his mother's name?
Biff
That is one huge manifest.
They really crammed a lot of information onto that one page.
I'll have to look at it on ancestry.
Oh I see it's two pages photographed as one
---
Great job Biff!
I agree!
Mother Antonetta Abbruzzese
I looked at the map Corso Umberto may be currently Corso Grande Umberto
#36 is within walking distance of Via San Pietro
Valarie
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
I love directories
Someday when Geoff has time he'll have to fill us in on the story
I noticed the same properties changing hands within the family:
286 Beacon St & 51 Lowell especially
Valarie
Someday when Geoff has time he'll have to fill us in on the story
I noticed the same properties changing hands within the family:
286 Beacon St & 51 Lowell especially
Valarie
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Biff & other membersvj wrote:Hello!
This may help
Copies of your manifests from ancestry. Com
(click here) 19 Nov 1901
Line 8
Information lined off - usually means he did not sail
26 Oct 1901
Line 20
Information lined off
About line offs:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/left/
You may be looking for another manifest after Nov 1901
If you get a chance, could you look at the original manifests that started Geoff's post.
What is your opinion?
Are we missing a manifest?
Thanks!
- BillieDeKid
- Master

- Posts: 1207
- Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Illinois
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Hi vjvj wrote:Santoliquido family
From footnote. com
(click here) 1923 Petition for Naturalization
Publication Number: M1368
Publication Title: Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. District and
Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929
Publisher: NARA
State: Massachusetts
Court: U.S. District Court
Year: 1923
Date: 27 Feb 1923
Immigrant Full Name: Michele Arcangelo Santoliguido
Document Type: Petition for Naturalization
Home Country: Italy
Witness 1 Full Name: Arcangelo Santoliquido
Witness 2 Full Name: Rocco Masi
Year Immigrated: 1903
---
On the petition the full name of witness 1 is Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido - occupation barber
Edit to add comment ......... scroll to the bottom of the petition to the written signatures
I looked at the manifests and Raffaele is definitely lined out in both. I've searched with ancestry and steve morse (even using Arcangelo) and have come up with nothing. I'm not sure what to make of it. I'll keep looking.
Elizabeth
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
I've also searched using multiple criteria on both ancestry and steve morse and come up empty.BillieDeKid wrote:I looked at the manifests and Raffaele is definitely lined out in both. I've searched with ancestry and steve morse (even using Arcangelo) and have come up with nothing. I'm not sure what to make of it. I'll keep looking.
Elizabeth
Interesting to note there's a Raffaele Abbruzzese from Forenza a couple of lines above on the Nov manifest.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Thank you Elizabeth
and Biff
!
I agree that there should be another manifest.
Elizabeth, you're right - he could have used Arcangelo since he may have considered that his 'official first name'
Biff, I think Geoff mentioned that name earlier too!
I've looked on ancestry, Castle Garden and Ellis Island.
I can't remember a manifest being this hard to find.
If his naturalization paperwork were on footnote it would help.
I don't know that we could have found Rocco Masi without it.
I guess knowing that there is a manifest to be found makes the search a little easier.
Valarie
I agree that there should be another manifest.
Elizabeth, you're right - he could have used Arcangelo since he may have considered that his 'official first name'
Biff, I think Geoff mentioned that name earlier too!
I've looked on ancestry, Castle Garden and Ellis Island.
I can't remember a manifest being this hard to find.
If his naturalization paperwork were on footnote it would help.
I don't know that we could have found Rocco Masi without it.
I guess knowing that there is a manifest to be found makes the search a little easier.
Valarie
- GeoffreySantoliquido
- Newbie

- Posts: 15
- Joined: 12 Mar 2009, 19:29
- Location: Cary, North Carolina, United States
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
It's like Christmas morning every time I come back here! I am grateful for all of your time and energy that you've spend helping me and my family.
Gosh, I can't help on all the property exchange except to say that I know the Masi and Santoliquido families were very close, even sharing a house in Somerville on Lowell St. In fact, when my grandfather Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido died Ralph Masi, the eldest son of Rocco and Concetta, took over my grandfather's barber shop on Mass Ave in Arlington, Mass. Then when Ralph died, a fellow named Mike Coscia took it over and the information you all gathered implies that Mike could have been related to Arcangelo's mother, Rachele Coscia Santoliquido.
The city directory is interesting as it shows Michele Masi was also a barber, with a shop in Somerville which adjoins Arlington. There is a city directory referenced at footnote dot com that I can preview with a tiny thumbnail that has my grandfather Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido's barber shop in Arlington identified.
Title/Collection: Sanford, John (p. 1596)
State: Massachusetts
City: Boston
Year: 1906
Full Name: Sanford, John
Surname: Sanford
Given Name: John
Publisher: Sampson and Murdock Company
Page Number: 1596
I am impressed and gratified by this group's diligence in researching my family! I see that finding Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido's ship manifest has been more challenging than most and I am sorry about that. I am thrilled to find all this other information that started out with a simple question but evolved into so much more. Even if his manifest is lost forever, it is very minor to me in that we have an incredibly rich picture of my family especially compared to what we had a week or two ago, thanks to you. To be sure, it will take me many hours to fully assimilate all of this and I will enjoy doing so. I'll have many more conversations with Guido, my 87 year old dad, about this and he may help me understand more about the property exchanges you noted. Unfortunately he lives 500 miles from me, in Pittsburgh.
To see the linkages emerge from all of this is fascinating. To see that the Masi family was truly a neighbor even in Forenza, living in walking distance from the Santoliquido family. Wow! That kind of detail is extremely intriguing, for sure.
Now to the name "Giuffreda = Jeffre = Geoffrey" well, I did use that wonderful link to Italian names and saw where the Italian equivalent to Geoffrey is "Goffredo". Whew, glad my parents spared me that! However, you might like to know that one of Rocco Masi's grandchildren is named "Jeffrey", clearly in honor of his grandfather. And it could be my family had their relationship with the Masi's in mind when they chose my name, which I never knew before (another question for Guido!).
edit: I mentioned to my dad, Guido Santoliquido, finding his father's draft card, 4/26/1942, here. He told me that he and his dad, Arcangelo Raffaele, registered together on the same day and he remembered it like it was yesterday as we discussed it (see how what you guys do for old folks is great for their memories!). Now I see that Rocco Masi also registered that same day, same place! How about that. If you find Guido's draft card that would complete that set. Guido got drafted following registration (age 20) but of course the old guys, Raffaele and Rocco, didn't.
There are probably other items here I could comment on after I get proper time to give full study to them. There is just so much to take in all at once! Again, I thank you on behalf of the entire family. You guys are truly the best. There are none better.
Gosh, I can't help on all the property exchange except to say that I know the Masi and Santoliquido families were very close, even sharing a house in Somerville on Lowell St. In fact, when my grandfather Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido died Ralph Masi, the eldest son of Rocco and Concetta, took over my grandfather's barber shop on Mass Ave in Arlington, Mass. Then when Ralph died, a fellow named Mike Coscia took it over and the information you all gathered implies that Mike could have been related to Arcangelo's mother, Rachele Coscia Santoliquido.
The city directory is interesting as it shows Michele Masi was also a barber, with a shop in Somerville which adjoins Arlington. There is a city directory referenced at footnote dot com that I can preview with a tiny thumbnail that has my grandfather Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido's barber shop in Arlington identified.
Title/Collection: Sanford, John (p. 1596)
State: Massachusetts
City: Boston
Year: 1906
Full Name: Sanford, John
Surname: Sanford
Given Name: John
Publisher: Sampson and Murdock Company
Page Number: 1596
I am impressed and gratified by this group's diligence in researching my family! I see that finding Arcangelo Raffaele Santoliquido's ship manifest has been more challenging than most and I am sorry about that. I am thrilled to find all this other information that started out with a simple question but evolved into so much more. Even if his manifest is lost forever, it is very minor to me in that we have an incredibly rich picture of my family especially compared to what we had a week or two ago, thanks to you. To be sure, it will take me many hours to fully assimilate all of this and I will enjoy doing so. I'll have many more conversations with Guido, my 87 year old dad, about this and he may help me understand more about the property exchanges you noted. Unfortunately he lives 500 miles from me, in Pittsburgh.
To see the linkages emerge from all of this is fascinating. To see that the Masi family was truly a neighbor even in Forenza, living in walking distance from the Santoliquido family. Wow! That kind of detail is extremely intriguing, for sure.
Now to the name "Giuffreda = Jeffre = Geoffrey" well, I did use that wonderful link to Italian names and saw where the Italian equivalent to Geoffrey is "Goffredo". Whew, glad my parents spared me that! However, you might like to know that one of Rocco Masi's grandchildren is named "Jeffrey", clearly in honor of his grandfather. And it could be my family had their relationship with the Masi's in mind when they chose my name, which I never knew before (another question for Guido!).
edit: I mentioned to my dad, Guido Santoliquido, finding his father's draft card, 4/26/1942, here. He told me that he and his dad, Arcangelo Raffaele, registered together on the same day and he remembered it like it was yesterday as we discussed it (see how what you guys do for old folks is great for their memories!). Now I see that Rocco Masi also registered that same day, same place! How about that. If you find Guido's draft card that would complete that set. Guido got drafted following registration (age 20) but of course the old guys, Raffaele and Rocco, didn't.
There are probably other items here I could comment on after I get proper time to give full study to them. There is just so much to take in all at once! Again, I thank you on behalf of the entire family. You guys are truly the best. There are none better.
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Hello Geoff!
Thank you for yet another lovely note
Here's your 1906 directory page from footnote
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4107 ... np1596.jpg
Best guess the information was gathered in 1905, it indicates that Raffaele did live in Boston, but moved to Somerville.
Again, that missing manifest would clear up who he was living with in Boston.
I noticed that the same fellow was lined off on the line above Raffaele on both of his manifests.
Pasquale Messanelli, born abt 1863.
So I tried to find Pasquale after Nov 1901. I found him - he missed the next ship in mid-Dec 1901 too.
No Raffaele traveling with him.
In revewing that manifest in Dec 1901 I noticed how badly transcribed it was.
Chances are that it will take a bit of luck to find Raffaele if his name is poorly transcribed
.
Valarie
Thank you for yet another lovely note
Here's your 1906 directory page from footnote
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4107 ... np1596.jpg
Best guess the information was gathered in 1905, it indicates that Raffaele did live in Boston, but moved to Somerville.
Again, that missing manifest would clear up who he was living with in Boston.
I noticed that the same fellow was lined off on the line above Raffaele on both of his manifests.
Pasquale Messanelli, born abt 1863.
So I tried to find Pasquale after Nov 1901. I found him - he missed the next ship in mid-Dec 1901 too.
No Raffaele traveling with him.
In revewing that manifest in Dec 1901 I noticed how badly transcribed it was.
Chances are that it will take a bit of luck to find Raffaele if his name is poorly transcribed
Valarie
Re: Ellis Island records Raffaele Santoliquido, duplicates?
Geoff I wish we could get your dad's card for him.I mentioned to my dad, Guido Santoliquido, finding his father's draft card, 4/26/1942, here. He told me that he and his dad, Arcangelo Raffaele, registered together on the same day and he remembered it like it was yesterday as we discussed it (see how what you guys do for old folks is great for their memories!). Now I see that Rocco Masi also registered that same day, same place! How about that. If you find Guido's draft card that would complete that set. Guido got drafted following registration (age 20) but of course the old guys, Raffaele and Rocco, didn't.
Right now privacy laws prevent it - he's too young
Valarie
Here's his enlistment record
Name: Guido Santoliquido
Birth Year: 1921
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: Massachusetts
State of Residence: Massachusetts
County or City: Middlesex
Enlistment Date: 5 Jul 1944
Enlistment State: Massachusetts
Enlistment City: Boston
Branch: No branch assignment
Branch Code: No branch assignment
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life
Education: 4 years of high school
Civil Occupation: Teachers (secondary school) and principals
Marital Status: Married
Height: 11
Weight: 101
Website for WWII Registrations
http://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-sea ... WR26&bc=sl