If I were in your position, I would go ahead and obtain the "Genealogy Use Only" copies and present them to the consulate with my application.
When / If the consulate says, "These won't do...", I would say, "I was concerned about that, but as you know, New York will not release certified copies unless I have a letter from your office; can you prepare such a letter now while I wait?"
Certainly there must be a way around this roadblock.
New York State--documents not normally entitled to
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: New York State--documents not normally entitled to
Some people have written about this topic in the forum at www.expatsinitaly.com If I recall correctly, several people have had some success circumventing this problem. It's a long thread, but it may provide some help:
http://expattalk.com/groupee/forums/a/t ... 059984/p/4
http://expattalk.com/groupee/forums/a/t ... 059984/p/4
Re: New York State--documents not normally entitled to
Good Luck, Rich,
I can appreciate your fortitude! Good job of pressing on!! I have no answers, but I wish you good luck.
Marianne
I can appreciate your fortitude! Good job of pressing on!! I have no answers, but I wish you good luck.
Marianne
MK
- jacobarber
- Rookie

- Posts: 43
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 04:23
Re: New York State--documents not normally entitled to
I was told the same thing by the vital records office in monroe county. I guess i can consider myself one of the lucky ones, as I have a great uncle and great aunt that are very willing to give me notarized letters of permission for their parents' death certs.
hopefully this will keep the process going. waiting on the birth certs from italy seems like the longest and most painful wait EVER. i hate waiting
hopefully this will keep the process going. waiting on the birth certs from italy seems like the longest and most painful wait EVER. i hate waiting
Re: New York State--documents not normally entitled to
How in the world did you know what to do or where to go for birth certificates in Italy? Sounds like it took quite a while, too. How long was your wait?
MK
- findtheForesi
- Rookie

- Posts: 31
- Joined: 19 Apr 2007, 00:00
- Location: Roxbury CT
- Contact:
Re: New York State--documents not normally entitled to
Hi MK,
Thanks for the response! This project has been on my bucket list for several years and my hobby for about the last 3 to 4. I started just like you did only for my own curiosity. You can look up the surnames here to see my progress. It has been an adventure and of course I wish I had done it earlier in my life.
Both my grandfathers died before I was born along with my Moms mother who died when Mom was around 15 years old.
Mom is going on 92 now and she is the last of our maternal Foresi/Pannone and Paternal Esposito/DiMeo line here in the USA.
With all the wonderful help I got from Italiangenealogy along with gente di mare site I am sure I would not be as far along as I am. They all have been extremely helpful and supportive when I was frustrated and hit brick walls. Looking at other research on the sites not only instructed me but encourage me further on where to look. My last find was info. regarding Vincenzo DiMeo/DeMeo and Maria Nicola Cappola out of Schenectady NY. I believe we would be calling these folks my great-grandparents!
You can email me on thru this site and I can give you other details if you need.
Otherwise enjoy your search and..
Best Regards
Rich
Thanks for the response! This project has been on my bucket list for several years and my hobby for about the last 3 to 4. I started just like you did only for my own curiosity. You can look up the surnames here to see my progress. It has been an adventure and of course I wish I had done it earlier in my life.
Both my grandfathers died before I was born along with my Moms mother who died when Mom was around 15 years old.
Mom is going on 92 now and she is the last of our maternal Foresi/Pannone and Paternal Esposito/DiMeo line here in the USA.
With all the wonderful help I got from Italiangenealogy along with gente di mare site I am sure I would not be as far along as I am. They all have been extremely helpful and supportive when I was frustrated and hit brick walls. Looking at other research on the sites not only instructed me but encourage me further on where to look. My last find was info. regarding Vincenzo DiMeo/DeMeo and Maria Nicola Cappola out of Schenectady NY. I believe we would be calling these folks my great-grandparents!
You can email me on thru this site and I can give you other details if you need.
Otherwise enjoy your search and..
Best Regards
Rich
Searching for cugini in Italy! Vitulano, Ciazzo, Ruviano, Casertta, Corridonia Macerata.
Our Family would love to connect with cousins should they be interested. Foresi-Pannone-DiMeo-Esposito
Our Family would love to connect with cousins should they be interested. Foresi-Pannone-DiMeo-Esposito
Re: New York State--documents not normally entitled to
Although your Consulate does not provide the letter you need, perhaps providing them with the letter--that is, the verbiage--so that all the person who receives it has to do is sign and stamp it, you would have luck in securing the letter. (This might work particularly well if you could visit the Consulate in person with the letter in-hand.)
I don't have direct experience with this situation; however, very often the less difficult a task is, the more willing one is to oblige.
Buona fortuna,
Benito
I don't have direct experience with this situation; however, very often the less difficult a task is, the more willing one is to oblige.
Buona fortuna,
Benito
