hi...Ive been looking for information on my last name...Cincotta...for awhile now...I havent been able to really find anything though...if someone could help me with a translation or any information it would be greatly appreciated...thank you...oh I forgot to mention...I know most of my family is from the aeolian islands...near sicily...I just visited some relatives there last week (its a very nice area by the way)...my grandpa (Vincenzo Cincotta) is from Ginostra, Stromboli and my grandma (not a cincotta, Grace Raffael) is from Lipari...so again thank you if you can help me with any information on the surname Cincotta
~Katie
Surname help- Cincotta
- mystictyger18
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 26 Jul 2004, 00:00
- Contact:
Re: Surname help- Cincotta
Cincotta does not appear in the dictonary of Italian surnames nor in the italian word dictionary which makes this either a very local surname or an imported surname whose meaning is not immediately known. However there are some several hundred references in www.google.com to Cincotta if you place th surname and the word genealogy alongside which may shed some light on the matter. Peter
Re: Surname help- Cincotta
I know this is not really relevant to the origin of the surname CINCOTTA, but...
Growing up in East Harlem, NYC, there was a very famous bakery run by the Cincotta family. The bakery was on 116th St & 3rd Ave in Manhattan. Not sure if they are related to your family.
There is also a young man named Peter Cincotta who is becoming a famous singer. You can find info on him on Google.
Growing up in East Harlem, NYC, there was a very famous bakery run by the Cincotta family. The bakery was on 116th St & 3rd Ave in Manhattan. Not sure if they are related to your family.
There is also a young man named Peter Cincotta who is becoming a famous singer. You can find info on him on Google.
- mystictyger18
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 26 Jul 2004, 00:00
- Contact:
Re: Surname help- Cincotta
still cool information to know...thanks.....Im not sure if that family in the city is related to me...maybe distantly...I know my grandpa had a grocery store in brooklyn in the 1930s...but there are a lot of cincottas in the city Im sure...I dont think Ive heard of that singer...Ill have to look him up...thank you
Re: Surname help- Cincotta
Hi Cincotta surname are probable an version of original Ciancotta surname and coming from dialectal word "cianca" meaning in dialect "badly formed leg"....therefore: last name coming from a nickname of first ancient ancestor regarding a physical defect to one leg...suanjmystictyger18 wrote:still cool information to know...thanks.....Im not sure if that family in the city is related to me...maybe distantly...I know my grandpa had a grocery store in brooklyn in the 1930s...but there are a lot of cincottas in the city Im sure...I dont think Ive heard of that singer...Ill have to look him up...thank you
- mystictyger18
- Rookie

- Posts: 32
- Joined: 26 Jul 2004, 00:00
- Contact:
Re: Surname help- Cincotta
thank you so much suanj...that is a lot more then Ive ever found about it...very helpful...you seem very knowlegable
-
bmwgurly07
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 11 May 2011, 07:11
Re: Surname help- Cincotta
Hello. I know your post was years ago, but I just came across it and maybe I can be of some help...? My great grandmother was a Cincotta from Italy =) My Titi recently passed away of Cancer and she gave me some family things, amongst those was a photograph of her wedding day. In the picture was my great grandpa (Spinato which I believe was from near Sicily) and Dominica Cincotta who's from Rosetia Degli Abruzzi. However, despite my great grandmother being from the opposite end of the country than yours perhaps they have some sort of relevance to one another?
I am not sure of any particular meaning behind the name Cincotta however what I was able to find was: Cincotta derives from Southern Italian (Sicily): possibly from a diminutive of the medieval personal names Cinco, Cingo, or Gingo. So I guess I got my information confused and my great grandpa (spinato) must've been from northern italy while my great grandma must've been from southern?
Krisanna.
I am not sure of any particular meaning behind the name Cincotta however what I was able to find was: Cincotta derives from Southern Italian (Sicily): possibly from a diminutive of the medieval personal names Cinco, Cingo, or Gingo. So I guess I got my information confused and my great grandpa (spinato) must've been from northern italy while my great grandma must've been from southern?
Krisanna.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Surname help- Cincotta
If your great-grandparents were born in Italy and came to the US after about 1898, their passenger manifests should give a place of last residence or a actual place of birth (depending on the year travelled).
If you would care to share their full names and year of birth, we may be able to find something for you.
If you would care to share their full names and year of birth, we may be able to find something for you.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
-
Spinatoltd626
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 25 Oct 2019, 04:48
Re: Surname help- Cincotta
Hi!!!! I know this post is super old, but I hope you get this reply. I’m researching my maiden last name “Spinato” and came across this! Funny, because when I saw it I had to click.... my Great Grandmother (my fathers’ dad’s mother) came from Sicily on the boat to NYC many many years ago... her name was Domenica Cincotta Spinato. I know she married my great grandfather who was Anthony Spinato.
mystictyger18 wrote: 26 Jul 2004, 21:13 hi...Ive been looking for information on my last name...Cincotta...for awhile now...I havent been able to really find anything though...if someone could help me with a translation or any information it would be greatly appreciated...thank you...oh I forgot to mention...I know most of my family is from the aeolian islands...near sicily...I just visited some relatives there last week (its a very nice area by the way)...my grandpa (Vincenzo Cincotta) is from Ginostra, Stromboli and my grandma (not a cincotta, Grace Raffael) is from Lipari...so again thank you if you can help me with any information on the surname Cincotta
~Katie
