Family History Center Info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bonval
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 16 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by bonval »

http:// myheritage.c om obviously remove the spaces -- sorry but was not sure how to make it linky here safely! It is a free version of the MyTree Builder and it translates common words to foreign languages - the common genealogical terms such as Nate Morti etc - 42 languages as a matter of fact -- it works great with my VISTA and actualyy so does FTM2009, or 2008! I love them!
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by Eleven »

Ooooh this is free.

I just downloaded it..I didnt install it yet, tho.

This is the direct link to the download page:

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by Eleven »

I just installed this. Its pretty nice for something that is free. Of course, the premium version has a lot more options..or so it looks like...but this is real nice for someone who is just starting out and needs something.

I am not getting rid of my old one. I am keeping both.

Thanks for the heads up on this.
bonval
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 16 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by bonval »

Eleven I kept my FTM also but this is good for free ...I actually find the editing pretty easy and straightforward ...and I made and Italiian file so I can email a Gedcom file overseas when family wants it ...awesome feature to have it translate. Also I just learned that ancestry's ownership is a gray area if you ever want to publish anything you posted there. I really wonder how true that is but folks at our FHL insist it is an issue?
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by Eleven »

I dont post anything at ancestry...except a few times in their volunteer forum.

I dont have anything of mine, as far as trees, names..posted anywhere online. I might have a few things floating around from 10 or so years ago..mostly in the form of old posts..but nothing else.

Oh..I like how this program allows you to select a name, then it tells you how everyone in the whole database is related to that person. My other program, I think just shows a relation between two people (I think).

I havent looked thru my entire datebase in a long time. I think I have 500 and something people. I looked at some of these names and though..um..who the heck is that..lol
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by nuccia »

I bookmarked the link and as soon as I clean all the files of my PC I think I may try it. I am working on so my records that my whole desktop is covered in folders that even I have forgotten what they are for. I used there were two of me and more hours in the day to do everything I want to do...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: 15 Nov 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by Eleven »

Nuccia..just for the record, this free version works fine on vista.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by nuccia »

Awesome! Thanks! Can't wait to try it then! :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
bonval
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 16 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by bonval »

I have VISTA too so that was one of the reasons I tried it -- I read about it in one of my Personal History Magazines. I buy tons of the magazines even though they deal primarily with UK because I always learn techniques and tips anyway!
bonval
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: 16 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by bonval »

:D I have to give you all our update on this issue. We just within the last couple weeks returned from 20 days in Italy. Best vacation we have ever had because we did NOTHING ... and EVERYTHING! We made this a time with family and a time of seeing the towns of the family again - and doing tons of research! We were able to finally break down a brick wall that no one else was able to - we found the original records for my husband's maternal grandfather - and took it back THREE more generations!!! :D :D :D This after ten years of no one being able to find anything - but we did it!
Part of the reason for our success? We took the genealogy book I had made - all in archival sleeves with photos when possible - but with duplicate copies of all original certificates - everything sourced to the best of my ability. I used mycanvas.com and made beautiful backgrounds, maps, timelines (that I edited to show Italian events) - and then I printed them out on a color laser printer - no easy feat and NOT CHEAP - but gorgeous because of the documentation. I then scanned all of this into pdf format and burned discs for everyone - and I made gedcom files of all our tree to date. WHile there I downloaded the My Heritage software - the free version - and taught everyone to use it by changing language to Italian. Let me tell you how many new genealogy converts we made! And of course I shared this web site with all of them so hoepfully they will join all of us!
Do yourself a favor and make copies of all original certificates you can!
User avatar
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: 15 May 2009, 13:00

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by 5zoe16 »

I am looking for family information from Bella PZ Italia, for Divito, Giordano and Castlegrande. The information I have is very little. Joseph Divito moved to the states at 16, born about 1883 to Nwe York. His wife Josephine Giordano, born around 1890 settled in Scranton PA. Her mother was Nellie Castlegrande.

Any help in a good starting point would be appreciated. We are planning a trip ti Italy and would like to have information to use plus to pass on to our familys.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by vj »

5zoe16 wrote:I am looking for family information from Bella PZ Italia, for Divito, Giordano and Castlegrande. The information I have is very little. Joseph Divito moved to the states at 16, born about 1883 to Nwe York. His wife Josephine Giordano, born around 1890 settled in Scranton PA. Her mother was Nellie Castlegrande.

Any help in a good starting point would be appreciated. We are planning a trip ti Italy and would like to have information to use plus to pass on to our familys.
Hello!
Congratulations on your upcoming trip.
We'd all be happy to see what we can do to help.
It would probably be easier to keep your information separate if you started your own post.
Just scroll down to the bottom of the post and click the 'new topic' button on the left side of your screen.
Valarie
User avatar
TomG
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 18:24

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by TomG »

Another success story with LDS. We just returned from a dream trip to N. Italy, Borgotaro, Belforte, and PieveOttoville. My husband met cousins he didn't even know existed until I started doing research online. The most amazing thing is that the church records in Belforte were destroyed in a fire. Everyone we contacted said there were no records prior to the 1940's even though his family had been in Belforte since 1541. About 5 years ago I got the microfilms and made copies of many, many records. When I pulled out copies of the records while we were in Belforte, they were in shock. They thought the records were gone without a trace, and here we were in Kirtland, OH, with copies of the records. They still can't believe that the records exist, and they are totally mystified as to how the Mormons copied the records without any of them knowing it was happening. It's a very small church, and they are very active in the parish so they insist they would have known that someone was copying the records.
Post Reply