I am new here, having just registered yesterday. I have a question.
Do I qualify for citizenship?
My GGGF, Giuseppe Ratti, was born in Italy around April 1868. Where in Italy is questionable and is being debated within my family. Some say Bologna, however, my dad told me today possibly in Carrara. The exact commune is of course unknown as well. His parents, according to a 1900, 1920, and 1930 consensus were Andrea (aka. Andrew, born around May 1845) and Ciarina (aka. Clara, born around March 1850). He married a woman by the name of Gilda (maiden name unknown, born around Feb. 1869) in the year 1890.
In 1893, the four of them came here to the US, living for a few years in Manhattan. Exact address is known!
According to what I have thus far found on ancestry.com, if this is the correct person, there are records from between 1907-1924 from the Index to Declaration of Intent for Naturalization that he had intended to naturalize. However, have yet to find any information on whether he completed the process. His father, Andrea, certainly did finish. According to his naturalization record which I found online, along with signatures from his other son and the Manhattan address, his process was completed on Oct. 23, 1899.
Did his naturalization have any affect on my GGGF, even though my GGGF was not a minor?
I have been told that I may not qualify since my GGF was born before 1912 here. Though my GGGF may also not have naturalized before 1912. What have others heard or experienced?
Thank you for your input!
