Hello All,
I recently managed to get a copy of the passenger list for the ship on which my father arrived to New york in 1957.
On the right-most column (Column 5) the immigration official would write a code - this could be simply a checkmark or it could be a B1, M1, C, F, U, Y14. I'm sure there are many more, but these are the codes I've seen on the passnger list I have.
I've looked aorund for explanations of these, but haven't been able to find any for this particular form (only for much oldr forms)
If anyone knows what these codes mean or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mauro
Understanding Markings on New York passenger lists
- rompascatole
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:01
Re: Understanding Markings on New York passenger lists
Can't access your manifest....but look and see if this will help:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/
- rompascatole
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:01
Re: Understanding Markings on New York passenger lists
Thanks for your reply.
I ahd already looked link you posted, but it seems to be for much older passnger lists than the ones used in 1957.
I'll try to add the file again so you can see it.
Cheers,
Mauro
I ahd already looked link you posted, but it seems to be for much older passnger lists than the ones used in 1957.
I'll try to add the file again so you can see it.
Cheers,
Mauro
Re: Understanding Markings on New York passenger lists
I don't see any attachments from either post. <shrug>
- rompascatole
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:01
Re: Understanding Markings on New York passenger lists
I have no idea why it's not working...it doesn't give an error when I attach the file.
Oh well...
Oh well...
Re: Understanding Markings on New York passenger lists
Perhaps if you would just tell us the name of the passenger, the date of arrival and ship, we can access the manifest on line ourselves and see what is the markings actually are.

