Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Post by suanj »

Giovannina was widow when remarried so in 1919... maybe the husband died some year before
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
mporta66
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 17:46

Re: Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Post by mporta66 »

OK, I just got off the phone with my sister, and she told me she remembers that "John Butti" died of the flu, he was not a nice husband, and my grandmother Beatrice did not like to talk about him. From this marriage record you sent, it looks like his real name was Giacomo Butti, and he married Maria Rossi in 1909.

I don't know when Butti died, but it must have been just a few years after he married Maria, because I don't think they were married for a long time.

Also Suanj, can you answer this question for me, because I am very curious:

Do you know if this happened sometimes, where a relative of the mother would take the child and raise the child in their house? Did this happen sometimes? And was it always a secret?
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Post by suanj »

that was no strange... the cause, I explained before, it is because if a unmarried woman recognized a child, she never find a fiancee or a man that can marriyng... never... so normally the child was no recognized by mother( and also by father) and was put in a orphanage... sometimes the true mother asking of to raise the child, and having a sum from Common for that... but nobody in the town, knew that the child was the own true child of woman, so the honor was saved, the marriage probability was saved, and the child anyway raised by natural mother... the only bad thing was that the child having for all life the "status" of foundling...
and never know abt biological father....
sometimes, also happening that the family was so poor, and they no recognizing a child, and after the civil birth registration, the true mother asking also of to raise the child for to have the sum payed from the Common for child raising... with this sum the family staying better... but always for the child was for all life foundling status...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Post by suanj »

the civil registration of Como and Lecco areas are on line by ancestry.com... needing subscription and payment ...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
mporta66
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 17:46

Re: Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Post by mporta66 »

Thanks so much for the explanation suanj, now I understand. I feel sad that my grandmother lived with this status of a foundling, but I am glad that she was able to receive the love of her own family. She was such a sweet lady, and we all loved her so much.

I want to thank you for all your help, and for sending me the new information about the Rossi family. You are an angel! :)
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Post by suanj »

happy of to help!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
mporta66
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 17:46

Re: Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Post by mporta66 »

Suanj, could I please ask you another question about the babies that were left at the orphanage? I really appreciate all your knowledge on this subject.

Did the family of the mother ever take the baby to raise, for example, would the grandparents (parents of the mother) ever take the baby and bring it to their house to raise? Did something like this happen sometimes?

Thanks much for all your help!
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Post by suanj »

I know not abt that, because a family( a wife/woman) ever take the baby, but the married woman must be young, and no old as a grandmother... but if the young married woman living with also grandparents in the house well yes it is possible....
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 68
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 22:22
Location: Savona (Italia) - USA

Re: Beatrice Fortunato - 1906 - San Nazzaro - NEED HELP!

Post by MaurizioPerrone »

mporta66 wrote:Did the family of the mother ever take the baby to raise, for example, would the grandparents (parents of the mother) ever take the baby and bring it to their house to raise? Did something like this happen sometimes?
I think is possible that the family did sometimes claim the baby, maybe a sister or brother of the mother takes the baby sometimes, anything is possible because every situation with the trovatello is unique. Sometimes the mother comes back to the orphan home a month or a year after the baby is born, and declares the baby as her own, and she takes the baby home. You see, there are many possibilities.
Post Reply