I am a newbie happily doing research on my Italian ancestors, who emigrated to the U.S. in the late 19th century, and quickly put down roots. I've found that the New York City online records are a wealth of information. However I appear to have found duplicate marriage records for two family members. First, in Manhattan, Lucia Dammaturco (my Nana!) appears to have married Michele D'Alessio (Grandpa) on both June 10 1897, certificate 9089, and on June 27 1897, certificate 10151. The only difference is that Grandpa's first name is spelled "Michaele" on the June 10 one. I am 100% certain that these two records refer to the same couple. Why would it appear twice?
Also in Manhattan, Angiolisa Damaturco married Nunzio Palladino on OCt 21 1900, certificate 17846, but Annie Damaturco married Nunzio Palladino on Aug 23 1900, certificate 14513. I'm really confused by this one. Is it one marriage recorded twice, with Annie being Angiolisa's nickname? Is it two sisters marrying two guys with the same name? Or did Annie die and Nunzio married her sister instead within a few months?
Is there any way I can find this out or will I just have to bite the bullet, pay my money and order copies of the original documents? And if I do will the original documents answer my questions (e.g. will they have bride's and groom's birthdates, parents, etc)?
(The thing about the Damaturcos is that the paterfamilas, Gregorio Damaturco and papa of Lucia and Annie/Angiolisa [as well as of Rose and Pasquale], seems to the one and only original Damaturco, so I'm sure that all the Damaturcos I find are part of this family.)
Thanks for any help!
Barbara
Why multiple marriage records?
Re: Why multiple marriage records?
They could be two totally different couples. There are many italians with the same name..and most of them were in NYC.
The only way you will know, is send for the actual document to see the parents names.
The only way you will know, is send for the actual document to see the parents names.
- greenweedz
- Newbie

- Posts: 14
- Joined: 12 May 2009, 00:58
Re: Why multiple marriage records?
Yes, there are indeed a lot of duplicate Italian names in the NYC records. And Annie and Angiolisa could be sisters who happened to marry men with the same name. But there was only one family of Damaturcos, so I know there weren't two Lucy Damaturcos marrying two Michael D'Alessios.
But I guess you're right. I'll have to send for the original documents.
Thank you!
But I guess you're right. I'll have to send for the original documents.
Thank you!
Re: Why multiple marriage records?
If the same couple, maybe they have one for a civil ceremony and one for the church. Many had 2 separate ceremonies as in Italy.
- greenweedz
- Newbie

- Posts: 14
- Joined: 12 May 2009, 00:58
Re: Why multiple marriage records?
Thanks for your reply! I was thinking it might be something like that: one civil ceremony, one church ceremony. But it seems to me that there wouldn't then be two different certificate numbers...??? Oh well. I hope seeing the documents themselves will solve the mystery!
Re: Why multiple marriage records?
On the first query, I'll bet the earlier one could be the Marriage Licence - required for a couple to marry and giving permission to a suitably qualified person to carry out the ceremony. These marriage licences have all the details of the couple and their parents. The second could be the actual Marriage certificate. Hence the two numbers...
I have seen, and translated, many 'pairs' of such documents for people who are gathering documentation for citizenship etc.
I have seen, and translated, many 'pairs' of such documents for people who are gathering documentation for citizenship etc.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
- greenweedz
- Newbie

- Posts: 14
- Joined: 12 May 2009, 00:58
Re: Why multiple marriage records?
Thank you. That clears up the mystery quite a bit. Plus, it means that I should concentrate on getting copies of the *earlier* document if I'm trying to trace family lines. That's very helpful information.
Just to clarify: this would be the case in New York in the late nineteenth/twentieth century, correct?
Just to clarify: this would be the case in New York in the late nineteenth/twentieth century, correct?
Re: Why multiple marriage records?
Yes New York - Those that I have dealt with have nearly all been early/mid twentieth century.greenweedz wrote:Thank you. That clears up the mystery quite a bit. Plus, it means that I should concentrate on getting copies of the *earlier* document if I'm trying to trace family lines. That's very helpful information.
Just to clarify: this would be the case in New York in the late nineteenth/twentieth century, correct?
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"


