Assistance please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
papazulu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 10:16

Re: Assistance please

Post by papazulu »

suemsa wrote:Hi Paolo
Many thanks for this info. From the memoirs he was in Tanga before this time, first arriving around 1894. he did work as a contractor and also had sisal estates. Is the German East African yearbook available online as would love to see the relevant page?
I'm afraid not. I had to buy it on Ebay from a German dealer. I'm sure that from time to time he put copies on sale. Should you be willing to buy it, the real title is "Adressbuch für Deutsch=Ostafrika" 1910; you'll find the name at the lowest line of page 69.
I could scan the page but am unfortunately unable to add it to the Forum.
By the way, have the memoirs of Ugo Zanetti been published? Are they somehow available? Where could I find them?
User avatar
suemsa
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 11:17

Re: Assistance please

Post by suemsa »

Will have a look on ebay. the memoirs have not been published, I have a photocopy of the translation from german to english - I need to spend time trying to organise it into something that makes sense
User avatar
papazulu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 10:16

Re: Assistance please

Post by papazulu »

If you're looking for more detailed infos, you won't find them in the yearbook which, at page 69, only presents among all the active people in Tanga the following line:
"Bauunternehmer (which means building contractor): R. Gau; Jacob Tamé; Ugo Zanetti.
Nothing more.
May I ask you if the memoirs tell about other Italians living in German East Africa before 1918? Which names/activities?
Sorry for bothering you.
User avatar
suemsa
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 11:17

Re: Assistance please

Post by suemsa »

If you can give me some time to go through it, will get back to you. One he mentions alot though is his 'faithful friend' Romani from Bovigo who he travelled with from Massaua to Zanzibar around 1891.
User avatar
papazulu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 10:16

Re: Assistance please

Post by papazulu »

Thank you for your kindness and, please, take your time!
Will be happy to read you anytime.

PS "Bovigo" doesn't exist in Italy. It's probably about "Rovigo", a medium city located some 70 Miles east of Mantova which had, at those times, a heavy emigration.
User avatar
suemsa
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 11:17

Re: Assistance please

Post by suemsa »

thanks for the hint about Rovigo - the memoirs were written in 1944, when Ugo was 77 years old, in german (although his first language would have been italian) and they have then been translated by a german friend into English so as you can imagine there could be lots of errors and the memoirs do ramble and jump in places! Will be in touch as would love to get some more info
User avatar
papazulu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 10:16

Re: Assistance please

Post by papazulu »

Should you need further help, I'd be happy to cooperate.
Wish you a nice evening
Paolo
User avatar
suemsa
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 11:17

Re: Assistance please

Post by suemsa »

papazulu wrote:Should you need further help, I'd be happy to cooperate.
Wish you a nice evening
Paolo
Paolo,

Have gone through the first 30 pages and have some names and details, not so many italians though. If you let me have an email address, will send to you.

Sue
User avatar
papazulu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 10:16

Re: Assistance please

Post by papazulu »

Dear Sue,
that's very kind of you!
If I may I'd ask you to send all the names (not only the Italian ones) you met.
As I collected a great deal of infos about people living there I could possibly add something new for your records.
You may write to: niccozav@libero.it
Thank you in advance and have a nice week
Paolo
User avatar
daggizanetti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Sep 2009, 14:38

Re: Assistance please

Post by daggizanetti »

Dear Sue,
i was so amazed and happy if i read the massage abot ugo zanetti.
i am the granddoughter from ugo and i live in germany. my father is hans zanetti, dies 1991. i have many informations and pictures from ugo zanetti. so maybe we can write us to get more informations.
greetings from germany
User avatar
suemsa
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 18 Apr 2009, 11:17

Re: Assistance please

Post by suemsa »

Hi

Wonderful news and I have replied to you.

All the best,

Sue
Arshad
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 24 Oct 2017, 18:58

Re: Zanetti Tanga Assistance please

Post by Arshad »

There is a famous Zanetti building still existing in Tanga, Tanzania. I lived in that town from 1950 to 1960. The Zanetti building was perhaps a hotel in German period. There were many Italiens who lived in Tanzania. During WWII they were captured as war prisoners. My father knew one Marenco, whose brother was an Admiral in the Italian navy. He was also in Australia.
JacquiZanetti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 May 2018, 06:20

Re: Assistance please

Post by JacquiZanetti »

Hello...I know this thread is old but I have come across it and would like to add some information. I have become interested in finding out information about my family history and am want to find out more!

I am the grandaughter of Ugo Adolfo Adalberto Zanetti.

My father is named Ugo Pietro Andrea Zanetti, his parents are Evelyn Jutta Zanetti and Ugo Adolfo Adalberto Zanetti. My grandfather Ugo Adolfo Adalberto Zanetti was an architect in Tanga.
nrg162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 13:17

Re: Assistance please

Post by nrg162 »

Hallo suemsa,

I am a Great-grandson of Ugo Possenti Erminio Giacomo Zanetti, born Jan. 18- 1867 in Mantua, IT to Anna Maria Speciosa Zanetti, and currently live in North Germany. I can help you with certain information, but I think Dagmar will have more.
Post Reply