What would the English James as in the first name be translated in Italian as I can see there is no J in the Italian alpahbet, or am I wrong.
Regards Lynne
James?
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: James?
GIACOMO = JAMES You are correct the letter J is no longr used in Italian. Formerly it had the force of a double I. To distinguish Tempi=times from Tempi=temples, the latter is often marked with one of those little tent figures on top (Circumflex). Prior to this the old practive was to write Tempj. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: James?
It's correct that the letter "j" is no longer used in the italian alphabet, and that James is the english corresponding of Giacomo, but the plural form of the word "tempio" is "templi"
L.
L.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: James?
Thanks Lucap I guess my Italian Dictionary published by the Cambridge University press suffered from a misprint since they use Tempi=temples. One of the two of you is right or perhaps your both right.=Peter=
~Peter~
Re: James?
I'm not alone: http://www.sapere.it/gr/DictionarySearc ... put=tempio
"Tempi" is a less common form (and, for what i know, it's even completely obsolete).
L.
"Tempi" is a less common form (and, for what i know, it's even completely obsolete).
L.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: James?
The reason why I am saying that both you and the dictionary are right is that my dictionary is dated 1954 with earlier editions dating back to 1945. But no matter ,the issue revolves around the letter J and not the plural for temples doesn't it? =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: James?
Of course.
L.
L.
