Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1207
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?

Post by BillieDeKid »

Possible 1910 census for Francesco Giuliano

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/9678 ... susra4.jpg

Take a look and see what you think.
User avatar
jjulian14712
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 104
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 00:00
Location: Upstate New York

Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?

Post by jjulian14712 »

Elizabeth,

Thank you!

The census lists Francesco Giuliano as a barge canal worker. Is it possible that my grandfather came to this country with the intent to work on the canal, which is why his destination was Rochester? That would make the manifest entry for the May 1 voyage of the Verona the correct one. It could also explain how he made his way across New York State to end up in the westernmost section.

Is there any other way to verify whether we have the right person?
User avatar
TomG
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 18:24

Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?

Post by TomG »

Another problem I've run into is that sometimes the actual manifest is not the one it's supposed to be. On a couple that I've looked up the actual manifest is from a different ship. That's understandable with the number of records that they had to scan and keep track of, but it was disappointing when I thought I found an ancestor.
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?

Post by misbris »

When that happens, post the info here. We have members on this site who are absolute magicians, and can find just about anything. :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?

Post by PeterTimber »

Since we are discussing the foibles of the Ellis island arrivals that oftimes when people arrived there and detained for some reason and then cleared for admission into the USA (their names would be deleted from the original manfiest or altered in some way to denote a change in their immediate status) their names would be place on the manifest of the next incoming ship as an arriving immigrant. =Peter=
User avatar
carmine1917
Elite
Elite
Posts: 269
Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 02:10
Location: New York

Re: Are Ellis Island Manifests Complete?

Post by carmine1917 »

The manifest was done by volunteers. My grandfathers name, the U is a V. Errors happen, I was glad to find it.

Ancestry.com problem with manifest often goes to the wrong page. Try stevemorse.org, his site is AMAZING for researching.

I went to Ellis the other day. I was told that there are many manifest after 1924, but they need researchers to put it together.

I have also heard stories from people that there grandparents will say one thing and its another. One guy told me that the manifest has his grandpa as 5"3 and he was 5'11. Keep trying. Also this forum is the best and most helpful I have seen online.
Post Reply