Two Surnames on Manifest for my GG Grandpa-Lepera/Aliveto
- budgirl11777
- Newbie

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 21 Aug 2003, 00:00
Two Surnames on Manifest for my GG Grandpa-Lepera/Aliveto
The manifest which lists my GG grandmother and her children coming to W.V. from San Giovanni Fiore, shows them going to join my GG grandfather, Giovanni Lepera Aliveto. It also shows that my GG grandmother was previously living with her mother-in-law, Costanzia Lepera Aliveto. My GG Grandfather's name as I knew it was Sam Aliveto. Why would it list two surnames for him?
I would have to see the manifest since you are talking about a manifest in italian and may not be familiar with the calligraphy and so Lepera while possibly not a surname but another first name may mean he had only one surname which is what all Italians have legally. In Italy woman retain their identity forever and only the children take on the fathers surname.Please let me see the manifest and then I can talk more definitiviely. Peter
