hailaugustus! wrote:Sorry for the late reply. Thank you all for your help. But for all who responded on how they don't see the mattia -martha connection, I will have you know that my great great grandmother, born in sicily in the mid 1870's happens to be named Mattia. That name is also given on the birth certificates of my great grandmother as well as immirgration records. so I don't know where your getting your facts from, but I know where I'm getting mine! :wink:
I read many times your post quoted above, and there is no doubt that your gggrandmother was named Mattia in the mid 1870's (Lucap mentioned, in his post, that this name was also used for females), however I still do not see any connection between Mattia and Martha. Maybe they sound similar, but Mattia derives from the Hebrew Matithyah, composed by matath="gift" and Yah, abbreviation of Yahweh="God, Iavè", and therefore means "God's gift", while Martha derives from Aramaic and means "Dominating lady".