I am doing research on the Munafos from Furnari, Sicily. I've been putting together an application for Italian citizenship and I would love to visit my relative's birth places and connect with any Munafo relatives in Sicily or any Munoff relatives in the US that have stories and info about the family.
My great grandfather was Francesco (Frank) Munafo born 3 June 1876 at 4 Casalnuovo St, Furnari Sicily. I'd love to visit this address in Furnari but the street doesn't seem to exist anymore, is there any way to find out if the name was changed or roughly where this house was? His parents were Francesco Munafo and Dominica Carcia or Corica, both farmers.
He first came to the US about 1901 but went back and married Carmela Chiofalo in 1904 in Furnari. She was born 1 March 1879 at 18 Rinazzo St, Furnari. I also can't find this street on maps. Her parents were Vennera Chiarella, a spinner, and Antonino Chiofalo, a farmer.
They went back and forth between upstate New York and Furnari but settled in Ft Edward, NY and had seven children, six survived. One or two of the children were born in Sicily. The family went by the name Munoff in the states.
Munafo in Furnari, Sicily?
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Munafo in Furnari, Sicily?
The Italian telephone directory ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0 ) lists 10 Munafro's in Furnari and 300+ in all of Sicilia.
Writing possible relatives in Italy: http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
PS: Also, eleven Chiofalo's in Furnari ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0 ) and 232 in all of Sicilia.
Writing possible relatives in Italy: http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
PS: Also, eleven Chiofalo's in Furnari ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0 ) and 232 in all of Sicilia.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Munafo in Furnari, Sicily?
Possibly you mean Via Rinazzo ("Via" = Street, roughly). See http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 19&iwloc=AMunafo wrote: He first came to the US about 1901 but went back and married Carmela Chiofalo in 1904 in Furnari. She was born 1 March 1879 at 18 Rinazzo St, Furnari. I also can't find this street on maps.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Munafo in Furnari, Sicily?
.
PS: The address I linked to is about 8 miles from downtown Furnari...
PS: The address I linked to is about 8 miles from downtown Furnari...
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
