Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Does anyone see anything in either of these documents which explains why the groom's mother is listed as ignoto? Does this suggest to you that the groom was a foundling who was adopted (formally or informally) by Giovanni?
Atti di Matrimonio:
Pubblicazione di Matrimonio:
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
nothing in either document, Carmine, to explain the mother of the groom being unknown
The act just has the dates of the publications listed at the bottom and about the consent of the parents.
At the bottom of the publication-I believe it is saying that the groom relinquished a document to the effect that he was free to marry and that he hadn't contracted marriage during the time he had spent in America. Then there is info about the consent of the parents. Again there is nothing concerning the mother being unknown.
I am left to assume that Egidio was abandoned by his mother as an infant and taken in/adopted by Giovanni. I have not yet found a marriage record for Giovanni, but the online Consenza/Malvito index is not complete for this period, so I haven't ruled that out.
Also, interestingly, the name Egidio does not appear at all in the previous five or six generations of the Di Iacovo surname.
I have searched the indexes of the FHL films for Egidio's birth act five years before and five years after his indicated birth year of 1887 (he was 21 years old in 1908). Obviously, nothing under "Egidio Di Iacovo" - do you have any thoughts on what name I should be looking for?
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Does anyone see anything in either of these documents which explains why the groom's mother is listed as ignoto? Does this suggest to you that the groom was a foundling who was adopted (formally or informally) by Giovanni?
Occasionally, a woman refuses to be identified on a birth record. Under such circumstances, the natural father is named and the child is neither an orphan or a foundling. Why a mother would refuse to be named is subject to speculation at best, but I would suspect that the mother was already married to someone other than the father. The child's birth record should state that his mother refuses to be named. I would suggest a record-by-record survey of the birth records (indexes can be inaccurate), especially Parte II of the Atti di Nato and the Atti Diversi, if any.
JohnArmellino wrote: I would suggest a record-by-record survey of the birth records (indexes can be inaccurate), especially Parte II of the Atti di Nato and the Atti Diversi, if any.
I am going to do exactly that this coming Tuesday.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Okay, so this appears to be Egidio's 1887 atto di nascita. Is his original surname Valdesi? No such name (or similar) in Cosenza then or now from what I can see.
From his marriage acts (earlier post), his name is given as Egidio Di Iacovo, son of Giovanni Di Iacovo and mother ignoto (unknown).
Any help at all with interpreting this birth act and explaining how Egidio came to be a Di Iacovo with unknown mother will be appreciated.
First part:
Second part:
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
I still need to read the whole document...
The annotation on page 1 states that with act March 6 1904, he was identified to be the son of Giovanni Di Iacovo
He was found by Michele Bonello in the doorway of his house near Contrada Chiesa. He appeared to be one month old. As Livio says, he was given the name Egidio Valdesi. He was placed in the care of wet-nurse Maria Antonia Iannuzzi, wife of Vincenzo Lombardi. As Livio further states, he was later recognized by his father. Apparently, his mother did not join in recognizing him. You might want to track down the atto di recognizione from 1904.
Do you think Bonello could actually be Borrello? Archivio di Cosenza index doesn't place any Bonello's in Malvito (only a few in all of Cosenza; no Michele's). However Borrello is a very common name, including a Michele born in 1834, thus 53 years old in 1887, just like the atto states.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!