My grandfather's 1885 birth record includes a description of his apparel. The phrases "un panno di acira" and "una cinta di vagramma" are clearly written. Are "acira" and "vagramma" archaic or dialectic terms? What do they refer to?
Also, does the margin entry refer to his baptism date? This is the only part of the birth record I'm unable to translate.
bambino's apparel
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: bambino's apparel
I am not even going to try to decipher the text but I will say that a birth record which includes a description of clothing is probably for a foundling infant; one that was abandoned by his mother at an orphanage, a church, the doorstep of a well-to-do resident, etc.
The clothing and other circumstances were described in the record on the chance that the mother or father may some day have second thoughts and wish to reclaim the child.
Perhaps you should post the entire record for a full translation.
The clothing and other circumstances were described in the record on the chance that the mother or father may some day have second thoughts and wish to reclaim the child.
Perhaps you should post the entire record for a full translation.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- italianashville
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 00:38
Re: bambino's apparel
Thanks Carmine. As I stated, the only untranslated text involves the two phrases and the margin entry, which begins "visto .... . nove Maggio 1885."
My grandfather's foundling status is documented by the words "ruota dei proietti" in the first line of the birth record continuation.
My grandfather's foundling status is documented by the words "ruota dei proietti" in the first line of the birth record continuation.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: bambino's apparel
I have been searching for a couple of years for Giovanni Orsini (Osenni) born around the same time who was also a foundling. Can you tell me the name of the town?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
- italianashville
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 17 Feb 2010, 00:38
Re: bambino's apparel
The deputy secretary to the mayor of Agnone, Campbasso apparently named grandpa after Pope Nicholas III (Giovanni Gaetani Orsini). His balia may have offered Angelo as a middle name, since her deceased father was named Giovannangelo.
Grandpa went by "Orsine," and his thick Italian accent resulted in at least one picture ID bearing the name "John Olsen." But I've yet to find any documentation for his being known as "Osenni."
Grandpa went by "Orsine," and his thick Italian accent resulted in at least one picture ID bearing the name "John Olsen." But I've yet to find any documentation for his being known as "Osenni."