Hi Everyone,
My parents' Newark appointments are next week. Although all my grandparents were Italian, my parents were born a few years before 1948, so we're using the paternal lines. In my father's case, we're also dealing with a pre-1912 naturalization.
If anyone has any final words of encouragement or advice for the appointment, including dealing with the pre-1912 issue, I'd appreciate it. I haven't found any posts indicating which way Newark will come down on this issue, and the Consulate's response to my inquiry was ambiguous ("all questions answered at appointment").
No matter what the outcome is, I so thoroughly enjoyed this process of learning about my family, who for (at least) hundreds of years lived in Italy before locating here. I know that my family and I will remain ever Italian, even if we are not recognized as such by the state.
I want to thank so many people on this board for assistance, advice and problem-solving.
Thanks again, everyone! I will post a recap of the appointments next wk.
Newark Appointments Next Week
Re: Newark Appointments Next Week
I'd say you still have a pretty good chance despite the naturalization having taken place before 1912. Reason being is that Newark doesn't list anything on their website about it and they didn't give you an outright "not eligible" on the phone when you asked. Also, I think they will probably like the fact that since the first generation in your family is obviously deceased, the second generation (your father) is applying instead of skipping over to the third generation. This is how I think the process should work and of course you will be recognized after your father is. Of course not everybody is as fortunate as yourself in getting the cooperation of the living ascendants but I really do think this is what the consulates like to see. Good luck.
Re: Newark Appointments Next Week
.....And having all FOUR grand-parents born in Italy will help you too! These things are never really cut and dried, no matter what anybody thinks. It's the prerogative of the consulate as to whom it thinks should be recognized.
Re: Newark Appointments Next Week
Wow, thanks Jennabet, that certainly is encouraging. Just to clarify, all my grandparents are of Italian descent, but not from Italy. All four of my mother's grandparents and one of my father's grandparents were born in Italy. The other three of my father's grandparents were born in the US to Italian immigrants. Hence, the early (pre-1912) naturalization problem on my father's side.
Re: Newark Appointments Next Week
In bocca al lupo!
I am looking forward to your post. My appointment is next month in Newark.
I am looking forward to your post. My appointment is next month in Newark.
Re: Newark Appointments Next Week
Just want to chime in with another good luck wish for a successful outcome.
In bocca al lupo.
In bocca al lupo.
Re: Newark Appointments Next Week
It's a great place to apply. Best of luck to you.



