I'm fairly certain that I'm eligible for Italian citizenship, but I just wanted to make sure. I will be applying through the Chicago consulate.
My great-great-grandfather was born in Pontremoli, Massa-Carrara in 1853. At some unknown point, but probably in the mid-1870s, he emigrated to London. He married my great-great-grandmother there in 1878. Pietro never became a British citizen.
My great-grandfather was born in London in 1900. He emigrated to the United States in 1921. He married my great-grandmother in 1924 in New York City. He naturalized as an American citizen in November of 1927--thankfully, several months after my grandfather was born. He later legally changed his name in New York City.
My grandfather was born in June 1927, in New York City. He was married in 1953 in New York.
My father was born in Missouri, in 1957. He was married in 1981 in Chicago.
I was born in 1982 in Chicago.
My first question is this:
1) Is there any reason that I wouldn't be eligible?
Now, the more complicated questions:
2) I have heard that the comune of Pontremoli does not have civil birth records dating back to 1853. Does anybody know if this is true? If so, how do I prove that my great-great-grandfather was born in Italy, to satisfy the Italian consulate?
3) I cannot prove when my great-great-grandfather left Italy. I have heard different things about citizenship at the time of the unification. I have heard that, in order to become an Italian citizen, one had to be physically in Italy in 1861. I have also heard that all living people who were born in Italy--regardless of where they lived at the time--were made Italian citizens. Which of these is true? Do I need to prove that my great-great-grandfather was physically in Italy in 1861, or not? If so, how can I do this to the satisfaction of the Italian consulate?
4) Do I need to present the consulate with the documents relating to my great-grandfather's name change? He went by a number of names throughout his life--his original Italian-sounding name (Domenico), his more Anglicized name (Domenic), and the name to which he legally changed (Lionel). He also used the name Lionel familiarly long before he legally changed it. Would an affidavit explaining this suffice, or do I have to come up with documentation?
5) As near as I can tell, the documents that I need to produce are:
- My GG-Grandfather's Birth Certificate from Pontremoli, if it exists.
My GG-Grandmother's Birth Certificate from Corsica
My GG-Grandparent's Marriage Certificate from England with Apostille and translation
Letter of No Naturilization from England for my GG-Greatgrandfather
My G-Grandfather's Birth Certificate from England with Apostille and translation
My G-Grandmother's Birth Certificate from Slovakia
My G-Grandparent's Marriage Certificate from NY with Apostille and translation
My Grandfather's Birth Certificate from NY with Apostille and translation
My Grandmother's Birth Certificate from England
My Grandparent's Marriage Certificate from New York with Apostille and translation
My Father's Birth Certificate from MO with Apostille and translation
My Mothers's Birth Certificate from IL
My Parent's Marriage Certificate with Apostille and translation
My Birth Certificate with Apostille and translation
Do I need to provide the following?
- My GG-Grandfather's Death Certificate with Apostille and translation
My G-Grandfather's Death Certificate with Apostille and translation
My G-Grandfather's Name Change Order with Apostille and translation
My G-Grandfather's US Certification of Naturalization
My Grandfather's Death Certificate with Apostille and translation
Lionel

