Hello,
I am fairly new to Italian records - and haven't tried military records yet. My great great grandfather left Italy for America at age 23; and I would like to find out if he did his conscription.
Which archive would I contact in the Torino area? He was originally from Forno Rivara/Forno Canavese.
And does anyone have a letter template that I can use? I've gathered that he was the oldest of 14 children, and I would be curious if any of his brothers served. His younger brothers were born in the 1890s, which I think would've put them in the right age group for WWI.
Which archive would I go to for military records?
- Irishinamerica
- Rookie

- Posts: 49
- Joined: 11 Mar 2011, 05:40
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Which archive would I go to for military records?
You want to contact:
Archivio di Stato di Torino
Piazza Castello, 209
10124 Torino
ITALY
web: http://archiviodistatotorino.beniculturali.it/Site/
email: as-to@beniculturali.it
There is a sample letter in this thread http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... io#p162129; you can probably find others as well.
A discussion of the various record types can be found here: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_Military_Records
Archivio di Stato di Torino
Piazza Castello, 209
10124 Torino
ITALY
web: http://archiviodistatotorino.beniculturali.it/Site/
email: as-to@beniculturali.it
There is a sample letter in this thread http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... io#p162129; you can probably find others as well.
A discussion of the various record types can be found here: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_Military_Records
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- Irishinamerica
- Rookie

- Posts: 49
- Joined: 11 Mar 2011, 05:40
Re: Which archive would I go to for military records?
Thanks Carmine! I used that sample letter that you posted to write a letter. I have it posted in the Italian language forum, because I want to double check it before I send it in.
Do you know how much the documents would cost?
Do you know how much the documents would cost?