Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
I'm a new member of Italian Genealogy so please bear with me. I'm looking for information on my paternal great grandfather and great grandmother. They lived and died in Waterloo, NY. His name was George Strally and he was born in Italy in 1889. All I know is that he immigrated to the US in 1907 from Northern Italy. His surname is not spelled correctly and I'm not sure what it should be. My great grandmother's name was Antionia DeMatteo and she was born in Italy around 1895 and immigrated to the US in 1911. I think her parent's names were Santo and Vincenza. Is there anyone in this forum that knows anything about the Strallys or DeMatteos? If so, please advise. Thanks.
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Since you are starting out it may be best for youi tio purchase the book Italian genealogical records by trafford R. Cole which is an easy read or Finding Italian Relatives by Lynn Nelson which is equally fgood. This will enable you to start your own research at tyour own speed. Asking people for bits and pieces of information is not going to furnish you with the total picture you are seeking and nobody can possibly conduct your research for you without any asking you multiple questions about your family. Needless to say you need correct names to start anything genealogically. Peter
-
john_dominic
- Veteran

- Posts: 140
- Joined: 07 Dec 2004, 00:00
- Contact:
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Don't forget that she is a DeMatteo, too...



Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
For genealogy purposes you can trace your grandmotrher thru ellisisland.org website for specific birth and town of origin. Peter
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Did either one have any siblings?
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
About George (GIORGIO in italian):tlyons wrote:I'm a new member of Italian Genealogy so please bear with me. I'm looking for information on my paternal great grandfather and great grandmother. They lived and died in Waterloo, NY. His name was George Strally and he was born in Italy in 1889. All I know is that he immigrated to the US in 1907 from Northern Italy. His surname is not spelled correctly and I'm not sure what it should be. My great grandmother's name was Antionia DeMatteo and she was born in Italy around 1895 and immigrated to the US in 1911. I think her parent's names were Santo and Vincenza. Is there anyone in this forum that knows anything about the Strallys or DeMatteos? If so, please advise. Thanks.
George STRALLY
Birth Date: 16 Apr 1890
Death Date: Dec 1973
Social Security Number: 119-01-4238
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: New York
Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 13165
Localities: Junius, Seneca, New York
Waterloo, Seneca, New York
the surname Strally can be STRALLI (very rare) or STRALLO or STROLLO (large presence) but nobody from Italy north all are from south (Lazio /Campania regions)...
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Thank you all for your feedback. Since I posted, I found out that one of my grandfather's brothers is still alive and I've spoken to his wife. She told me that the surname was spelled Stralli and he immigrated to Canada because he couldn't get into the US directly. I hope to find out more from them.
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
If you need to know about his entry into the USA thu Canada please let me know. Peter
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Hi Peter,
I haven't had any luck with the Canadian Immigration records on the internet. I've found many promising sites, but never found anyone who immigrated with the last name Stralli in the early 1900s. On the 1920 US Federal Census, it's recorded that he immigrated in 1907. I'm not sure if that's when he immigrated to Canada or the US.
I haven't bought the books that you mentioned yet. I'm waiting to find out more info from my Uncle.
I haven't had any luck with the Canadian Immigration records on the internet. I've found many promising sites, but never found anyone who immigrated with the last name Stralli in the early 1900s. On the 1920 US Federal Census, it's recorded that he immigrated in 1907. I'm not sure if that's when he immigrated to Canada or the US.
I haven't bought the books that you mentioned yet. I'm waiting to find out more info from my Uncle.
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Most likely means he immigrated from canada to USA in 1907. You can do it the easy way. Just send form 81 (NARA national archives passenger arrival for entire US and borders from 1820 to 1957). Go tio www.Nara.gov and obtain form. Just type "request forms wherever there is a blank. Peter
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Hope this helps! This Giacinto was from Castelli.
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2284100344
First Name: Giacinto
Last Name: Strolli
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Castelli
Date of Arrival: September 01, 1906
Age at Arrival:  18y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Indiana
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028
Going to Cornwall, Ontario - Canada
mfjp
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2284100344
First Name: Giacinto
Last Name: Strolli
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Castelli
Date of Arrival: September 01, 1906
Age at Arrival:  18y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Indiana
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028
Going to Cornwall, Ontario - Canada
mfjp
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
There is a Cornwall in PA....which it looks like on the manifest...
My error here!
But there is also a Cornwall in Ontario...
mfjp
My error here!
But there is also a Cornwall in Ontario...
mfjp
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
I'm pretty sure now that his name was Georgio Stralli and he was from northern Italy. One of my relatives told me that his family used to herd sheep over the border to Switzerland. Also, I know that he immigrated to Canada before the US.
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Prior to 1907, anyone could cross the USA-Canadian border - no questions asked... Canadian Border crossing cards were introduced about 1907. If there is a manifest, and the person knew he was going to Canada, it would say "in Transit" on the manifest. Canadian Immigration records are not easy to research, I agree!
Re: Looking for Info on Strally and DeMatteo Families
Canada -USA migration records maintained from 1892 onwards. If you know where he crossed into the USA it makes it easier to research USA records thru NARA. Peter


