I am looking for information on family members from Siracusa.
My grandfather was born there in 1894.
He emigrated to US with first wife, Margherita Garofalo in 1913, age 19.
His father was Guiseppe Agliano and his mother was Rosalia Rodante.
Thanks, gj
P.S. Does it help to translate these messages to Italian?
Agliano-Rodante-Garofalo from Siracusa?
Re: Agliano-Rodante-Garofalo from Siracusa?
You do not say what specifically you are looking for since it could be interpreted that you are looking for current family members or past family members dating back to 1820 to 1910. For current famuily members go to www.paginebian che.it and insert agliano in the first line (or whatever other surname you choose) and Siracusa in the third line and click CERCA. For family members dating back to 1820 go to the nearest family history library of the mormon church nearest your home and rent the microfilm of the civil records for Siracusa for $3.00. All marriages, births and deaths are recorded for you to see. Peter
Re: Agliano-Rodante-Garofalo from Siracusa?
Thanks Peter,
I have spent the last few months at the Family Research Center and have found a treasure trove of family history. They have raised the price to $5.50 per roll but it's still a bargain!
The family tree now includes Moscuzza, Drago, Garofalo, Bottaro, Bianca, Rodante, Battista, Corso, Barcio and Aloschi.
Cheers, gj
I have spent the last few months at the Family Research Center and have found a treasure trove of family history. They have raised the price to $5.50 per roll but it's still a bargain!
The family tree now includes Moscuzza, Drago, Garofalo, Bottaro, Bianca, Rodante, Battista, Corso, Barcio and Aloschi.
Cheers, gj
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Agliano-Rodante-Garofalo from Siracusa?
There is a companion book for the micorfilm that may assist. it is titled Discovering your Italian Ancestors by LynnNelson and a magnifying glass can help calirfying difficult swirls and hooks in the handwriting. =Peter=
Re: Agliano-Rodante-Garofalo from Siracusa?
I also found Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical & Other Records in Family History Research by Trafford R Cole was helpful.
Nelson's book seems to have more complete example records. Together, the two books make reading the Italian records much easier.
Nelson's book seems to have more complete example records. Together, the two books make reading the Italian records much easier.
Re: Agliano-Rodante-Garofalo from Siracusa?
I agree. I have a copy of each of the books and after reading both I found that together they made reading the films much easier. And, they are both very good reads.gjohnson wrote:I also found Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical & Other Records in Family History Research by Trafford R Cole was helpful.
Nelson's book seems to have more complete example records. Together, the two books make reading the Italian records much easier.


