Help translating documents
Help translating documents
Hello! I have two documents that appear to be possible ancestors of mine, and I'd love some help in translating them. I don't know Italian, and I'm also having trouble reading the script in some places which makes it more complicated. The first document appears to be a birth record for Lorenzo Celli and a possible twin, maybe a Rosa Celli? The first page has them on the right side, and I think it extends on to a second page so I will include that as well. The other document looks to be a birth record for Raffaele Celli, also on the right side of the page. Any information that anyone can decipher for me would be appreciated! The names are about all I can recognize. Thank you!!!
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help translating documents
Yes, definitely twins, and I understand from the record that they were both presented to the official by the midwife together – I just can't get the exact wording correct. Here is the basic translation of their respective birth records. I'll leave someone else to translate Raffael's as I need to go out shortly.
Birth Record # 38 Lorenzo Celli (First Twin)
Recorded on 27 March 1866 Bagnoli Irpino
Angela Frasea, 69, levatrice (midwife), living in this town presented a male baby, the first born twin, born 26 March at 3 a.m. Father is Antonio Celli son of deceased Vincenzo, age 40, farmer and (the mother is) Maria Coletti, daughter of Domenico, farmer, living in this town. Name of street – Strada Caula. The baby was given the name Lorenzo.
Witnesses:
Gennaro Cione, son of deceased Antonio, age 50
Aniello Cione, son of deceased Salvatore, aged 36,
both farmers living in this town.
Birth Record # 39 Rosa Celli (Second Twin)
Recorded on 27 March 1866, Bagnoli Irpino
Appearing was Angela Frasea, daughter of deceased Vincenzo, age 69, levatrice (midwife), living in this town, to present a baby girl, (together with her twin?), second-born, on 26 March at 3 a.m. She was the daughter of Antonio Celli, aged 40, farmer, son of deceased Vincenzo, and daughter of Maria Coletti, daughter of deceased Domenico, farmer, living in this town. Address Strada Caula. The baby was given the name Rosa.
Witnesses:
Gennaro Cione, son of deceased Antonio, age 50
Aniello Cione, son of deceased Salvatore, aged 36,
both farmers living in this town.
Angela
Birth Record # 38 Lorenzo Celli (First Twin)
Recorded on 27 March 1866 Bagnoli Irpino
Angela Frasea, 69, levatrice (midwife), living in this town presented a male baby, the first born twin, born 26 March at 3 a.m. Father is Antonio Celli son of deceased Vincenzo, age 40, farmer and (the mother is) Maria Coletti, daughter of Domenico, farmer, living in this town. Name of street – Strada Caula. The baby was given the name Lorenzo.
Witnesses:
Gennaro Cione, son of deceased Antonio, age 50
Aniello Cione, son of deceased Salvatore, aged 36,
both farmers living in this town.
Birth Record # 39 Rosa Celli (Second Twin)
Recorded on 27 March 1866, Bagnoli Irpino
Appearing was Angela Frasea, daughter of deceased Vincenzo, age 69, levatrice (midwife), living in this town, to present a baby girl, (together with her twin?), second-born, on 26 March at 3 a.m. She was the daughter of Antonio Celli, aged 40, farmer, son of deceased Vincenzo, and daughter of Maria Coletti, daughter of deceased Domenico, farmer, living in this town. Address Strada Caula. The baby was given the name Rosa.
Witnesses:
Gennaro Cione, son of deceased Antonio, age 50
Aniello Cione, son of deceased Salvatore, aged 36,
both farmers living in this town.
Angela
Re: Help translating documents
Angela,
Thank you so much for the translation, I really appreciate it!!!
Thank you so much for the translation, I really appreciate it!!!
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help translating documents
You are very welcomeaerandel wrote:Angela,
Thank you so much for the translation, I really appreciate it!!!
I have had a look at Raffaele's birth record. I'm finding it quite faint to read but I've had a go at it anyway:
Birth Record #87 – Raffaele Celli
Record is dated 14 September 1866, 6 pm, Bagnoli Irpino
Appearing was Aniello Celli, son of deceased Domenico, aged 40, farmer, living in this comune (town), to present a male baby born 14 September at 7 am, to his wife Angela Basile, daughter of Raffaele, living with him, in his house, in this town at Strada Casale. The baby was given the name Raffaele.
Witnesses:
Tommaso Frasea, son of deceased Raffaele, age 40, farmer
Giovanni Gargano, son of deceased Lorenzo, 28, farmer
Angela
Re: Help translating documents
Angela,
Thank you so much! My great-grandparents were named Celli/Cella and I'm finding that there are tons of extended family from that area that I haven't been aware of. These records definitely fit in there somewhere!
I appreciate the help very much!!
Thank you so much! My great-grandparents were named Celli/Cella and I'm finding that there are tons of extended family from that area that I haven't been aware of. These records definitely fit in there somewhere!
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help translating documents
That's so fantastic and I am so pleased that I could helpaerandel wrote:Angela,
Thank you so much! My great-grandparents were named Celli/Cella and I'm finding that there are tons of extended family from that area that I haven't been aware of. These records definitely fit in there somewhere!I appreciate the help very much!!
Angela
