I need the whole document translated...
see link
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
I need help translating a Marriage Certificate
- Lizzydedr05
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 01 Jul 2009, 19:28
Re: I need help translating a Marriage Certificate
I think you would've gotten a better response if you had not said "the whole document" since most of it is just standard boilerplate that is the same on every marriage record, and typed to boot. I'm just going to translate, as usual, the parts that actually depend on the people involved:
On 21 Feb 1921,
Giuseppe Bandettini, not previously married, 22 years old, student, born in Lucca, residing in Viterbo, son of the late Luigi, who resided in Lucca, and Caterina Brugiotti, residing in Lucca,
married
Luisa Morini, not previously married, 34 years old, housekeeper (massaia), born and residing in Viterbo, daughter of Antonio, residing in Viterbo, and Francesca Salcini, residing in Viterbo.
The word "massaia" is usually translated as "housewife" but that obviously doesn't apply to an unmarried woman. It can also mean "housekeeper" but I'm not so sure that that was the intention here. Maybe "homemaker" would be a better translation.
On 21 Feb 1921,
Giuseppe Bandettini, not previously married, 22 years old, student, born in Lucca, residing in Viterbo, son of the late Luigi, who resided in Lucca, and Caterina Brugiotti, residing in Lucca,
married
Luisa Morini, not previously married, 34 years old, housekeeper (massaia), born and residing in Viterbo, daughter of Antonio, residing in Viterbo, and Francesca Salcini, residing in Viterbo.
The word "massaia" is usually translated as "housewife" but that obviously doesn't apply to an unmarried woman. It can also mean "housekeeper" but I'm not so sure that that was the intention here. Maybe "homemaker" would be a better translation.
Re: I need help translating a Marriage Certificate
"Massaia" is a woman who works at her own home, doing all that (Italian?) women did at that time and before: cleaning, cooking, looking after children (if she had any), warming the house if needed...how would you translate that?
Now, as I'm Italian mother tongue, and my English is not fluent, I'd grateful to you if you could tell me the difference between the words you mentioned
Now, as I'm Italian mother tongue, and my English is not fluent, I'd grateful to you if you could tell me the difference between the words you mentioned
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: I need help translating a Marriage Certificate
Housewife is a woman who does all that but is married. Homemaker is the same thing but doesn't require that the woman is married (moreover, the word could also apply to a man, too). Housekeeper is a maid - someone who is employed to clean and perhaps cook for someone else. I thought that homemaker fits best, even though the dictionary translations are housewife or housekeeper.
Re: I need help translating a Marriage Certificate
Thank you!!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: I need help translating a Marriage Certificate
Pippo, now you can return the favor: What's the difference between massaia and casalinga?
Re: I need help translating a Marriage Certificate
Dictionaries show them as synonyms. "Casalinga" is a more modern word, of the XX century. In most older records you would find "donna di casa" or "affari di casa".
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
