I am new to the forum but hope someone will be able to help/point me in the right direction.
I have decided to start researching my family history, and have decided to start it in the most difficult place, with my Italian grandmother's heritage. The problem is, I'm struggling with a couple of things (and google is being less than helpful).
My grandmother's surname was Balenieri (I'm sure this is the spelling but without access to my Dad's birth certificate or any other documentation I've been unable to confirm this, so it's mainly based on 'phonetic' spelling). Is this a genuine Italian name and is the spelling correct? She was, as far as I know, born in Rovinj around about 1928 (ish) but grew up in Gorizia and Trieste. She moved to the UK around about the 1950's after marrying a British soldier. I know she had a brother who moved to Australia, where he died at a young age. Now, my main issue is I don't know where I'm looking for her records - i.e. am I looking in Italy (as she was Italian) or am I looking in Croatia, since Rovinj is in Croatia?
Thanks in advance for any tips/advice. Genealogy is totally new to me
Caligrafee

