I am trying to sort out the information regarding the groom in this marriage for Paulo Lo Forte and Francesca Franzone. Is it saying that he is from Portifino, Genoa and is now in Borgetto? and what is the spelling of his mother's last name. And finally, what is the significance of the 'D' before each name. Thanks so much.
record on right side:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915
iterpretation of marriage record
- Pontiusmaximus
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 17 Jul 2016, 23:20
- Location: Auburn, California
Re: iterpretation of marriage record
The "D" denotes "Don" and "Donna" - titles of respect.
Here is explanation from Angela
of this forum...

I am reading that the groom was "from childhood residing in Borgetto" and that he is an unmarried resident of Portofino...
T.
Here is explanation from Angela
As to the surname of the mother - I believe it is Gatusso - but the spelling today in Palermo is GattusoAngelaGrace56 wrote:
My understanding from what I have read is that they are titles of respect given to individuals who were of high social standing within a community – people of great wealth, education etc. It was often given to people such as property owners, priests, doctors, lawyers etc. The words Don and Donna translate to Lord and Lady.
I am reading that the groom was "from childhood residing in Borgetto" and that he is an unmarried resident of Portofino...
T.
