I'm researching whether I'm eligible for Italian citizenship through my grandfather, and I found this on Wikipedia:
"Note that if an Italian ancestor naturalised as a citizen of another country independently from his or her parents, and prior to reaching legal Italian adulthood (age 21 prior to 10 March 1975, and age 18 otherwise), then often that ancestor retained Italian citizenship even after the naturalisation and could still pass citizenship on to children."
Does anyone know if this is true, or have any further information? My grandfather was naturalized when he arrived in the US in 1931, at the age of 12 (his parents had already become citizens). Could he possibly have retained Italian citizenship (considering it sounds like he naturalized independently from his parents)?
Thanks for any tips!
Naturalization as a minor
Re: Naturalization as a minor
Your grandfather didn't naturalize. That would be impossible at age 12. Instead, he received derivative citizenship through his parents' naturalization. Unfortunately, that means his citizenship ended at that time.

