Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience with the timeline post-appointment. To recap my own experience:
I made my appointment in 2014 for a date in 2016.
I spent the next two years requesting all my documents, getting corrections made, procuring translations/apostilles, etc.
I submitted all of my paperwork and my application to the New York consulate in May 2016.
I was missing one document, which I was able to track down and submit in early August 2016. It was fairly formulaic (i.e., I was just missing a U.S. birth certificate that had no incorrect names/dates listed, so there was nothing that needed correcting).
That's as far as I've gotten in terms of knowing where my application stands. I changed addresses (still within the region covered by the New York Consulate) a few months ago and used that opportunity to ask about the status of my application. The consular office gave me a "friendly reminder" that they don't provide status updates. When/How would be best to poke around on where my application stands? How long did it take for others to get word from the Consulate/Italy? If it's helpful, my application will eventually (in theory) be sent to Piedmonte Piemonte Maltese.
Didn't the consulate give you a time frame? For some consulates it is 1 year. After the time frame given by the consulate you should receive an email or letter from the consulate itself confirming or not your citizenship. At least that's how it was with my case.
They told me it would take "maybe 3 months, maybe 11 months...probably less than a year, though." It seemed really fluid and I've read a few boards like this one where there was actually movement on the application but the person never received a letter.