Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by JamesM »

I have been searching for Giovanni for some time. I have discovered some things on him but for the most part he remains a mystery.

He is married to Pasqualina, aka Bessie, surname unknown and lives in New York City and Nutley, New Jersey.
He has 8 children that I have found. Michael, Charles, Louisa, Joseph, Jane (unsure of Jane), Frank, Antonio and Mildred.

He goes by John or Paul so maybe his name is Giovanni Paolo. Maybe his real surname is Francesco or some variation.
According to census records, he immigrated in 1880.
User avatar
rp76226
Master
Master
Posts: 2130
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 17:00

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by rp76226 »

Sounds like all first names, not surnames. It may help to provide copies of the documents that you do have. How do you know that he is related to you? Seemingly that would involve a known surname.
Use this link to upload document copies from your computer, than post the link given through that process here - https://postimage.io/
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by adelfio »

1920 census

Name:
Paul Francesco
[Paul Tranuroe]

Age:
55

Birth Year:
abt 1865

Birthplace:
Italy

Home in 1920:
Nutley Ward 1, Essex, New Jersey

Street:
Milton Ave

House Number:
42

Race:
White

Gender:
Male

Immigration Year:
1880
[1889]

Relation to Head of House:
Head

Marital Status:
Married

Spouse's Name:
Bessie Francesco

Father's Birthplace:
Italy

Mother's Birthplace:
Italy

Native Tongue:
Italian

Able to Speak English:
Yes

Occupation:
Laborer

Employment Field:
Wage or Salary

Home Owned or Rented:
Own

Home Free or Mortgaged:
Free

Naturalization Status:
Naturalized

Able to Read:
No

Able to Write:
No

Neighbors:
View others on page

Household Members:


Name

Age


Paul Francesco 55
Bessie Francesco 44
Michael Francesco 18
Charles Francesco 17
Louisa Francesco 15
Jasper Francesco 12
Jane Francesco 10
Frank Francesco 8
Ambrose Francesco 6
Millie Francesco 0

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by suanj »

Hi, it could be possible that his real name was Leopoldo(or just Poldo) GIANFRANCESCO?
I found this marriage record:
Palmeri Pasqualina Jun 13 1897 9232 (1897) Manhattan 1503714 Gianfranceseo, Leopoldo

and the Birth of first child:


Francesco Giaragesco

New York, New York City Births

Name Francesco Giaragesco
Event Type Birth
Event Date 21 Mar 1899
Event Place Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Gender Male
Race White
Father's Name Leopold Giaragesco
Father's Birthplace Italy
Father's Age 33
Mother's Name Pasqualina Palonicea Giaragesco
Mother's Birthplace Italy
Mother's Age 22

and the second child:
Michael Giavanesocso
New York, New York City Births, 1846-1909 birth:
9 February 1901
Manhattan, New York, New York, United States father:
Poldo Giavanesocso
mother:
Pasqualina Palmeiri

the surname is mispelled, and I believe that Francesco is the short version...
let me know your suggestions,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by suanj »

if my idea is right, here the 1900 census:


Leopold Don Francisco

United States Census, 1900

Name Leopold Don Francisco
Event Type Census
Event Year 1900
Event Place Borough of Manhattan, Election District 5 New York City Ward 6, New York County, New York, United States
Gender Male
Age 34
Marital Status Married
Race White
Race (Original) W
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
Years Married 3
Birth Date Aug 1866
Birthplace Italy
Marriage Year (Estimated) 1897
Immigration Year 1886
Father's Birthplace Italy
Mother's Birthplace Italy



Household

Role

Sex

Age

Birthplace

Leopold Don Francisco Head M 34 Italy
Pasqualina Don Francisco Wife F 24 Italy
Frank Don Francisco Son M 1 New York

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1325221
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by JamesM »

suanj wrote: 13 Jun 2017, 11:56 and the second child:
Michael Giavanesocso
New York, New York City Births, 1846-1909 birth:
9 February 1901
Manhattan, New York, New York, United States father:
Poldo Giavanesocso
mother:
Pasqualina Palmeiri

the surname is mispelled, and I believe that Francesco is the short version...
let me know your suggestions,
suanj
This birth for Michael matches the one I have found, it must be him.

Marty,
That is also them. I have found the 1915 Census and Paul is listed as John.

Thanks to both of you


Now that I may have the name figured out, it is time is figure out where they come from.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by suanj »

Now we must find Leopoldo Gianfrancesco, because this is the his birth name, by my find...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by adelfio »

I actually think his name was Ippolito Gianfrancesco and Pasqualina Palmeri line 2 and 3



PG LINK TO SHIPMANIFEST
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... 7_674-0399


Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by suanj »

Sorry marty I don' t have ancestry account, however they married in USA, and his first name was Leopoldo, you think that they coming from same town and his name on marriage record is wrong?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by suanj »

found by familysearch:

Ippolito Gianfrancesco

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)

Given Name Ippolito
Surname Gianfrancesco
Event Date 26 May 1897
Age 31y
Nationality Italian
Departure Port Genoa and Naples, Italy
Arrival Port New York
Gender Male
Marital Status S
Ship Name Fulda
and by :
https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/ ... cGciOw==/1
I see both the names, great find, no doubts, these are the right persons...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by suanj »

by detailed marriage record we can know the their parent's names:


Leopoldo Gianfrancesco

mentioned in the record of Leopoldo Gianfrancesco and Pasqualina Palmieri

Name Leopoldo Gianfrancesco
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 13 Jun 1897
Event Place Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Event Place (Original) Manhattan, New York
Gender Male
Age 31
Marital Status Single
Race White
Birth Year (Estimated) 1866
Birthplace Italy
Father's Name Francesco Gianfrancesco
Mother's Name Eleonora Filsideo
Spouse's Name Pasqualina Palmieri
Spouse's Gender Female
Spouse's Age 21
Spouse's Marital Status Single
Spouse's Race White
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated) 1876
Spouse's Birthplace Italy
Spouse's Father's Name Marcellino Palmieri
Spouse's Mother's Name Carmela Messeve
here his first name is Leopoldo, but after the help of Marty, Ippolito seeming more probable....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by suanj »

Found:
Ippolito GIANFRANCESCO born in Piedimonte d'Alife (Caserta province, Campania region) on 24 Aug 1866 #164, son of Francesco Gianfrancesco 46 old, farmhand (son of late Francesco) and from Eleonora Filisdei 34 old daughter of unknown father

https://s4.postimg.org/f0scabewd/ippoli ... ncesco.jpg
:D suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by JamesM »

Wow. Thank you

If I may ask, is there any info on their deaths and/or naturalizations. I see the NY census or 1900 has Ippolito and NA. And is there any birth record for Pasqualina?
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by suanj »

I believe she was born in same area, I found a Mercellino Palmieri arrival in USA, maybe he is the Pasqualina father, seeming very probable:


Marcellino Palmieri

United States Italians to America Index

Name Marcellino Palmieri
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 09 Jun 1891
Event Place New York, New York, New York, United States
Gender Male
Age 53
Birthplace Italy
Occupation Peasant
Ship Name Gergovia
Birth Year (Estimated) 1838
Departure Port Naples
Literacy Unknown
Destination Place NEW YORK
Transit or Travel Compartment Staying in the USA [Transit]; Steerage [Travel]
Affiliate Manifest ID 00081885
Affiliate ARC Identifier 1746097
I searched in some commune in the area, but no luck, I searched on 1875 and 1876.... the her mother maiden name I believe right Messere, no Messeve...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Giovanni Paolo Francisco 1865-?

Post by JamesM »

You are correct with Messere, as I found another marriage record:

Name Gianfrancesco Ippalito
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 27 May 1897
Event Place Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Event Place (Original) Manhattan, New York
Gender Male
Age 30
Marital Status Single
Race White
Birth Year (Estimated) 1867
Birthplace Italy
Father's Name Francesco
Mother's Name Leonarda Filisdeo
Spouse's Name Pasqualina Palmeri
Spouse's Gender Female
Spouse's Age 21
Spouse's Marital Status Single
Spouse's Race White
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated) 1876
Spouse's Birthplace Italy
Spouse's Father's Name Marchilino
Spouse's Mother's Name Carmella Messere
Post Reply